Toggle AF-C and AF-S on Z6ii

blackstar

Hi, This could be a dummy question from a real green photo hobbyist. So lol if you will. AW, I found on many occasions when shooting around on the field that I needed to change from AF-C to AF-S and vice versa. The way I did this is by using the "i" button. Of course, the other way is to dig in the menu... I would be pleased and appreciate to know from you if there is a quick simple way to toggle the two auto-focus modes on my z6ii. I just suspect that designating some button(s) for custom settings might be able to accomplish this task? Just have no idea of any details. Thanks for your help.

Needa

Challenge Team
From the manual: At default settings, the focus mode can also be selected by holding the Fn2 button and rotating the main command dial.

While this doesn't toggle the setting no menu dive is required.

BF Hammer

From what I've researched, this is a prime reason why back-button focus is used by many. You take the autofocus activation off of the shutter and assign to the AF/AE lock button. Then leave camera in AF-C mode. Holding the button then tracks, but you can release the button to freeze the focus in position and then pushing the shutter will not cause a refocus. No need to select between the modes once you retrain yourself to use it.

That said, I have dabbled in trying it and it really does not seem to benefit me so much. To do this there are 2 changes to make in the setup menu and hundreds of articles and videos that show how.

Clovishound

On my Z5, I need to do the same thing when shooting birds as I sometimes need one mode for perched birds, and another for birds in flight. I programmed U3 for still bird settings with AF-S, small focus point and U2 for birds in flight with AF-C and auto focus point, as well as a higher shutter speed. Of course, I'm using manual exposure mode with auto ISO for both, so I need a likely shutter speed set, you may use a different mode and not need that. Once the two modes are programmed, easy to do, they are permanent until I save new settings. I only have to turn the mode dial from U3 to U2, or vice versa to get the settings I want. Very handy. I have the U1 set up for macro settings with manual AF, a small aperture, flash sync speed for the shutter and a low manual ISO. One flip of the dial and I have my start settings without hassle.

Fred Kingston

That's the object of Back Button Focus as @BF Hammer correctly points out. Leave the camera in Continuous Focus Mode, Pressing the Back Button turns ON the Continuous Focus as long as the Back Button is pressed... Releasing the Back Button Stops the Continuous Focusing at that point, and effectively acts as Single Focus Mode... It's instantaneous on my Z7II

blackstar

From the manual: At default settings, the focus mode can also be selected by holding the Fn2 button and rotating the main command dial.

While this doesn't toggle the setting no menu dive is required.
I use the record button to switch focus modes and focus areas as Patrick suggested—still no toggle, not easy and simple. Is it faster than using "i" button, not sure?

Last edited:

blackstar

That's the object of Back Button Focus as @BF Hammer correctly points out. Leave the camera in Continuous Focus Mode, Pressing the Back Button turns ON the Continuous Focus as long as the Back Button is pressed... Releasing the Back Button Stops the Continuous Focusing at that point, and effectively acts as Single Focus Mode... It's instantaneous on my Z7II
To Fred and BF, it makes sense, but practically the focus box does not change color when in focus as when it acts as Single focus mode... or I am missing something here?

blackstar

On my Z5, I need to do the same thing when shooting birds as I sometimes need one mode for perched birds, and another for birds in flight. I programmed U3 for still bird settings with AF-S, small focus point and U2 for birds in flight with AF-C and auto focus point, as well as a higher shutter speed. Of course, I'm using manual exposure mode with auto ISO for both, so I need a likely shutter speed set, you may use a different mode and not need that. Once the two modes are programmed, easy to do, they are permanent until I save new settings. I only have to turn the mode dial from U3 to U2, or vice versa to get the settings I want. Very handy. I have the U1 set up for macro settings with manual AF, a small aperture, flash sync speed for the shutter and a low manual ISO. One flip of the dial and I have my start settings without hassle.
User modes involve many settings fixed in the mode causing some flexibility issues. I know you could change settings during field shooting and at the end it automatically saves all changes to start. But if it fits your way, it can benefit. I just want to simply toggle between AF modes when I need to.

BF Hammer

To Fred and BF, it makes sense, but practically the focus box does not change color when in focus as when it acts as Single focus mode... or I am missing something here?
I believe the box will go to what it wants to focus on, assumption being it is focused when on your target. However I am doing my trial of BBF with a D750 and I just leave my Z5 mostly set to AF-A. My own experience being the auto selection works for me in most situations. But that is me.

Fred Kingston

That's correct... it doesn't "beep" on focus lock either... On my Z7II, I have to look really close to see that it, in fact, actually focuses... it's so fast... The theory is, if you're out in the wild, and most everything is pretty static, and slow... and all of a sudden, a fast-moving thing (bird) flies across your field of view, with instant continuous focusing, you have a better than average chance of getting a sharp in focus shot...You certainly won't have a shot if you're fumbling with a knob or a menu... Shooting in Continuous Mode takes some practice... With my old DSLRs, there was a bit of feedback with the camera's focus motor noises, but in electronic shutter mode with the Mirrorless cameras...they're dead silent

blackstar

That's correct... it doesn't "beep" on focus lock either... On my Z7II, I have to look really close to see that it, in fact, actually focuses... it's so fast... The theory is, if you're out in the wild, and most everything is pretty static, and slow... and all of a sudden, a fast-moving thing (bird) flies across your field of view, with instant continuous focusing, you have a better than average chance of getting a sharp in focus shot...You certainly won't have a shot if you're fumbling with a knob or a menu... Shooting in Continuous Mode takes some practice... With my old DSLRs, there was a bit of feedback with the camera's focus motor noises, but in electronic shutter mode with the Mirrorless cameras...they're dead silent
Thanks, Fred. I practiced a bit on how to make sure the object was in focus... but became doubtful if I did it the right way. My thought was this: first, you set it as AF-C + burst mode; second, you can shoot continuously by pressing both BB and shutter; then, you release BB and shutter for the next AF-S shot; when an opportunity comes, you press BB to focus on an object, then release BB (as to re-compose) and press shutter to take the shot. If this way is correct, the outcomes may still be undesirable -- have multiple single-focus shots! Am I on the right track? Now I am much more bothered by having to change both AF and burst modes!

Needa

Challenge Team
Why are you changing AF modes? With BB focus just leave it in AF-C release BB after achieving focus to hold the focus if you want to recompose or if stationary object.

Fred Kingston

Thanks, Fred. I practiced a bit on how to make sure the object was in focus... but became doubtful if I did it the right way. My thought was this: first, you set it as AF-C + burst mode; second, you can shoot continuously by pressing both BB and shutter; then, you release BB and shutter for the next AF-S shot; when an opportunity comes, you press BB to focus on an object, then release BB (as to re-compose) and press shutter to take the shot. If this way is correct, the outcomes may still be undesirable -- have multiple single-focus shots! Am I on the right track? Now I am much more bothered by having to change both AF and burst modes!
Well...Yeah, that's how it would be done... the object, using a flying bird as the example... is one or more of those single in-focus images is both compositionally pleasing as well as tack sharp...the rest are discarded... another option instead of burst mode is Steve Perry's method of activating the video mode... I'm guessing he's doing that to pull out single frames from the video... that just gives him more options at a higher number of images to select that "perfect one"...

I don't do much "action" shooting... 99.999% of what I do is single-point... and I like the beep and green in-focus square as feedback on focus-lock for these old eyes...

Paliswe

I have the Z6 (not Z6ii) and have been using BBF and AF-C the way some posts describes, but sometimes in low light and taking portraits the AF-C seems to hunt too fast and when I release the BB it stops on the wrong focus point. When using AF-S in these cases it often works better. So there is a point in switching between AF-C and AF-S sometimes.
I switch between AF-C and AF-S with the "i"-button but I have also put it into "My menu", which I can quickly access via the Fn2-button.
(I counted the number of settings you can do with this camera and I stopped counting when I reached 250....)

Last edited:

blackstar

I have the Z6 (not Z6ii) and have been using BBF and AF-C the way some posts describes, but sometimes in low light and taking portraits the AF-C seems to hunt to fast and when I release the BB it stops on the wrong focus point. When using AF-S in these cases it often works better. So there is a point in switching between AF-C and AF-S sometimes.
Exactly my point.