To Filter.... or Not To Filter. That is the question.

480sparky

Uhhh, but he is the OP. Minor detail :rolleyes:

So, isn't that inviting participation?

Now, if you want my answer, here it is:

I don't believe in using filters, at least to protect the lens. I have seen no empirical evidence that they do the job. My lenses have been without filters for years with no issues. The hood works well enough.

AC016

So, isn't that inviting participation?

Now, if you want my answer, here it is:

I don't believe in using filters, at least to protect the lens. I have seen no empirical evidence that they do the job. My lenses have been without filters for years with no issues. The hood works well enough.

That may be, but it seems like he did not want your particular form of participation, but i could be wrong.

TedG954

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Thanks AC, but some things just aren't worth the effort. Some people just have no clue.

:glee:

Last edited:

TedG954

Yes, you are wrong.

No. He's not wrong.

If someone has something constructive to add, that's great. But "..this crap again" is not constructive or appreciated. There was no call for a juvenile comment like that. If he didn't like the thread, then he could have moved on and posted nothing. "...this crap again" helps no one and shows a total lack of respect for the thread, and myself. It wasn't appreciated and I didn't want his form of participation.

Last edited:

Blacktop

No. He's not wrong. If someone has something constructive to add, that's great. But "..this crap again" is not constructive or appreciated. There was no call for a juvenile comment like that. If he didn't like the thread, then he could have moved on and posted nothing. "...this crap again" helps no one and shows a total lack of respect for the thread, and myself. It wasn't appreciated and I didn't want his form of participation.

It was a reply to AC016, which was MY opinion. No need to blow a fuse because someone made a Dikkhead comment in your thread. Especially someone who is known to make Dikkhead comments from time to time.

Michael J.

I used an UV just once and got that horrible CA, I binned it. It was a cheap one but even so.

The same goes for me. I bought the D5100 and the Kit lens was with it. I bought a UV Filter for it. And was shocked by the result. But I think it was my fault cos I used it in the night pointed straight into the light of our beautiful street lights.

I use my cam for almost every situation, beach, Water festival, unexpected rainy days, in moister environment, etc. I just feel a bit uncomfortable that the D5100 body doesn't like it. The lenses I think were never in high risk situation, and that's why i didn't need a UV to protect them. But sometimes when it is windy and dust strikes me, yes that is the time that I want a filter. I don't have any time a cleaning set with me when I walk around. Than I can give away the filter and the lens is ready for clear shots again. Not to mention that sometimes I touch the front of the lens bu accident and here I go again, no cleaning clothes with me.

This time, before the Water festival in Thailand, starts 13 of April, I will get a UV Filter for my 16-85 for sure. The water drops are very nasty on the lens, Cos they're not clean Water drops. On this event people mix talcum-powder into the water and that makes the gear damaged. So I don't use that much my cam or go with the car on the street. You need a very hard cleaning time to get the car's windshield clean after this event.

Yes, I am sur eto get the UV for my 16-85 and thi stime not a cheap one. I need a good one.

BTW, any suggestion what is good UV for my 16-85?

Last edited:

J-see

I'm not familiar with UV in specific but anything I buy to attach to my lens is B+W. Although there's a first time for everything, this far they never disappointed me.

They're not always the cheapest but all I got of them is worth the money.

TedG954

It was a reply to AC016, which was MY opinion. No need to blow a fuse because someone made a Dikkhead comment in your thread. Especially someone who is known to make Dikkhead comments from time to time.

Did you even read the post?

AC016 said "That may be, but it seems like he (THAT'S ME) did not want your (THAT'S SPARKPLUG) particular form of participation, but i (THAT'S AC016) could be wrong."

Did you think AC016 was referring to you. He wasnt'.

You said "
Yes, you (THAT'S AC016) are wrong."

Well, what AC016 said was CORRECT, not wrong as you stated. I did not want his (SPARKPLUG) particular form of participation, and he (THAT'S AC016) was not wrong.

So, your opinion is wrong and I'm clarifying your error.

Last edited:

singlerosa_RIP

I have UV filters and only use them when I'm shooting in environments where I need protection (beach, dust storm, etc.) My filter pouch has a 77mm UV, polarizer and ND and is attached to my camera sling. Better to have and not need.......

Rick M

I only use for effect, but I also do not shoot in harsh conditions. I would definitely use one near salt water or in any situation where something could stick to it. Otherwise the lens cap serves me well and I rarely need to clean the lens. Some folks like to walk around with the lens cap off, in that situation I'd recommend a filter, but then you are shooting through a dirty filter unless you clean it often.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
When I was shooting an SLR, I purchased UV filters to protect the lens. I noticed how they made the sky pop. I loved it. When I purchased my DSLR and lenses I had read that a UV wasn't required for the pop, but an NC filter would be good for protection. I bought one for my lenses. Then after reading on here and other places I saw recommendations for CPL filters. On that I bought one for each of my lenses. Yes they are easy to clean (blowing desert conditions) and if I remember to adjust them when the relationship to the angle of the sun changes, they do help bring out the details in skys, etc. Some days I become frustrated with them, because I shoot and then think about adjusting the CP-L. In my walk around shooting conditions I may see something (bird flying) in the sun, across from the sun, away from the sun... and the filter is off in three out of the four shots. This frustrates me with the CP-L and I am tempted to put the NC's back on. Basically, I am still weighing out the options, also. I do like having something more than the lens cap on the end of my lenses though.

Horoscope Fish

When I was shooting an SLR, I purchased UV filters to protect the lens. I noticed how they made the sky pop. I loved it. When I purchased my DSLR and lenses I had read that a UV wasn't required for the pop, but an NC filter would be good for protection. I bought one for my lenses. Then after reading on here and other places I saw recommendations for CPL filters. On that I bought one for each of my lenses. Yes they are easy to clean (blowing desert conditions) and if I remember to adjust them when the relationship to the angle of the sun changes, they do help bring out the details in skys, etc. Some days I become frustrated with them, because I shoot and then think about adjusting the CP-L. In my walk around shooting conditions I may see something (bird flying) in the sun, across from the sun, away from the sun... and the filter is off in three out of the four shots. This frustrates me with the CP-L and I am tempted to put the NC's back on. Basically, I am still weighing out the options, also. I do like having something more than the lens cap on the end of my lenses though.
An option you might want to consider is the Hoya HD Protector... They're tough little suckers, I can tell you that.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This time, before the Water festival in Thailand, starts 13 of April, I will get a UV Filter for my 16-85 for sure. The water drops are very nasty on the lens, Cos they're not clean Water drops. On this event people mix talcum-powder into the water and that makes the gear damaged. So I don't use that much my cam or go with the car on the street. You need a very hard cleaning time to get the car's windshield clean after this event.

Yes, I am sur eto get the UV for my 16-85 and thi stime not a cheap one. I need a good one.

BTW, any suggestion what is good UV for my 16-85?

Michael, when you mentioned the talcum powder, are you referring to a color run? If so, you may want to leave your camera home. If that stuff damages cameras like they say, what does it do to people's lungs? https://fstoppers.com/originals/follow-shooting-color-run-event-heres-how-protect-your-kit-4756

For UV filters, I use either B+W or Hoya multi-coated filters. If it is for a wide angle lens, you may want to consider a slim profile filter. Those are thinner in thickness and don't cause vignetting like some filters can do on wide angle lenses.

Michael J.

Michael, when you mentioned the talcum powder, are you referring to a color run?

No, not really, it is like this: The magic and traditions of Thai New Year (Songkran)

For UV filters, I use either B+W or Hoya multi-coated filters. If it is for a wide angle lens, you may want to consider a slim profile filter. Those are thinner in thickness and don't cause vignetting like some filters can do on wide angle lenses.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will give for sure a look at it.

Michael J.

Lastly, I shoot with CPL filter almost all of the time because I like the effect it has on my shots when shooting outdoors. There's a LOT of what I call "adverse reflective light" out there a CPL removes and I think it gives outdoor shots a sort of boost in saturation and clarity that you can't get any other way, including in post processing. It's kind of one of those things: you don't really notice it until you see it removed. All my lenses wear CPL's and only come off when they need to for specific situations. Once we're back to Situation Normal, the CPL goes back on.

After redeaing this, I jut put the CPL back on my lens and it stays on.

Maybe I should buy for my 35mm a CPL as well