Tips for getting exposure and color balance right in-camera?

gustafson

Yes, I think you are right. It is about getting the best RAW file that reduces post. I still feel that for me it is still some hit and miss but I am focusing more and more on the Triangle. One of the things I have been utilizing more is ISO. Not just auto Iso but considering raising it incrementally to allow for the depth of field I want and the shutter speed I need. Also trying to prevent blowouts but setting the histogram to flash if I have blown out the highs or lows. I do think they are helping my technic for getting a better RAW file.

I do still rush sometimes. That is part of the condition my condition is in, but I am trying to focus on getting the right exposure. White Balance is a challenge for me too. Sometimes I use my Expodisc. It is a cool tool for getting it right and it works. But I do not always use it. A lot of times I do set that in post using the eyedropper in LR.

Dan, Thank you for the note. Good to hear that I'm not alone, and on the right track. Also, thanks for the reminders on ISO, and using the blinking alert on the histogram for clipped highlights or shadows. I do also rely on the eyedropper tool for adjusting white balance in ACR. It is particularly useful for portraits, where I use the whites of the eye or the teeth to adjust white balance. It's a bit of an annoyance and moreso disconcerting when the Auto WB is way off. I guess what I was reminded of in the earlier responses is that the Auto WB or any WB setting doesn't actually apply to the RAW, so I shouldn't be getting worried over that, just worry more about getting the exposure close to correct.

I've never really used the bracketing feature on the D7100. Am wondering if that might probably help me some. Anybody here have experience or tips to share in that regard?

gustafson

In order to nail exposure from the get-go I suggest you research how to read and interpret histograms. Once you do you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

Understanding Histograms

I would also suggest you to learn how to set a custom White Balance; the D7100 button layout makes it pretty fast and easy to do. You're shooting in raw so you'll total flexibility in adjusting the WB when processing, but nailing WB in-camera is a real time saver down the road and makes any other color corrections you might deem necessary just that much easier.

How to Set a Custom WB

Edit: I almost forgot to mention another tool you might want to consider: Huelight color-profiles. While I do not use these profiles exclusively I do use them frequently and find them very helpful in speeding up my overall post-processing workflow. Once installed you can use them just as you would any other color-profile (same menu in Adobe Camera Raw). As I recall $15.00 will get you a full set of profiles for one camera model.

Color Fidelity

Hi Paul, Thanks for the note. You had advised me to study histograms a couple of years ago when I first got into shooting. I found them very helpful at the time, but have gotten sloppy with time and find that I don't really use them as much as I should. I tend to look at the histogram more during post than while shooting. This is a good reminder to get back into using the camera histogram during shot review. The suggestion by @Danno to activate the alert for clipped highlights and shadows is also something I plan to start using.

Thanks also for the tip on using custom WB, and the pointer to Huelight color profiles. I've played around with custom WB in the past, but again, have just gotten sloppy with time. Will look into the Huelight profiles! Thank you!

rocketman122

I had issues when shooting AWB. I now manually adjust kelvin for what I want.

nikon cameras do need a big boost of sharpening to move things along. I have mine all the way amped up in picture control.

I dont shoot raw except for the bride and groom images together outside when its contrasty and I need to recoup highlights/shadows. other then that its all jpeg. I get it right in the camera and then I have minimal adjustments.

gustafson

I had issues when shooting AWB. I now manually adjust kelvin for what I want.

nikon cameras do need a big boost of sharpening to move things along. I have mine all the way amped up in picture control.

I dont shoot raw except for the bride and groom images together outside when its contrasty and I need to recoup highlights/shadows. other then that its all jpeg. I get it right in the camera and then I have minimal adjustments.

Your shooting style sounds like what I’m aspiring for, although I feel I’m very far from getting there. Thank you for the pointers on the white balance and the in-camera sharpening. Will give that a whirl and see how it goes. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk