Time to move on.

Duggy72

Great responses, many thanks to those that replied.

The D3100 was a great starter camera and it is on this camera that I have started learning about exposure, composure etc...

As an amateur that mainly takes pics of my young family growing up, portraits and trips I can't see the reason in selling all the gear I have and going FX, I think that either of the two choices will suit me fine. Leaning towards the D7200 or D7100 but all depends on the deals that I can obtain.

There are very good deals on the D7100 now. That may be a good compromise in terms of features and cost.

All the best.

MaxBlake

In my case, after shooting with a D70 for years, I stepped up to the D3300, then got a D5500 on a whim, and before I knew it I was jumping ahead again to the D7200. Each one of them has merits. The D3300 and D5500 are easy to carry on road trips and turn out high-quality photos; the D7200 is versatile and rugged and substantial, and the photography it is capable of is nothing short of incredible. The bottom line is what your needs are and which one will best serve those needs. Maybe, like me, it's a combination of more than one camera for different days.