The problem with the new Nikon and Canon

Texas

Reading all the thoughts about the one vs. two card slots has revealed something surprising. Namely that SD cards are fragile, or so says many posters.

They seem tough enough to me.

spb_stan

They do fail a lot, everyone I ever talked with who shoots a lot and does file transfer from a card reader has had card failure, either mechanical where the case separates and the locking tab breaks or a data loss problem with either contact or the memory die itself fails. CF cards fail with bend pins and occasionally pins get stuck in the socket so inserting a new CF ruins that one also. They work well in set and forget applications where only pulled out rarely, by doing cable transfers. That latter option is slow. It was a bad enough problem that the manufacturers pooled resources and designed a pro-rated system that overcame the frequent problems with SD and the well-known CF pin alignment problem that could cause an expensive body repair. The XQD has resolved the problem, although it is more expensive.

Bikerbrent

If SD cards are as unreliable as some are claiming, then the lack of a second SD slot in the D7500 is a double whammy. Gee, I don't know how I survived for 10 years with my D200?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If I hadn't experienced a problem with damaged images, I might not be so insistent on having 2 card slots. But on a couple of occasions, I've had images that had either pink or green fringe along one edge of the frames. I'm reasonably sure it happened with Lexar cards which is why I stick with SanDisk now.

And one time I experienced an issue with an image that took forever to write to the card. Not sure how or why it happened or if both slots experienced the issue, but eventually the light on the back of the camera turned off. It wasn't until the light went off that I was able to actuate the shutter again. I didn't lose any images from this, but at least I had a second slot in use as a precaution.

To each his/her own. ;)

spb_stan

That slow writing to the card is not uncommon and primarily due to unprotected contacts that can partially work but only with many retries so the camera does not trigger a fault routine, as "it thinks" the card is good but high resistance contacts fail to transfer the data correctly so it retries and keeps retrying. I use a little bit of deoxidation treatment periodically on my SD cards used in the D700 and the backcard in the D800. I have had 4 sessions hurt by card failings but always had another camera.
My biggest contact problem with oxidation or wear is my grip to body multi-pin connector. After so much use, daily it might be time to retire the Chinese grip that has served so well since the D800 came out. About the best $75 I invested in accessories.
While the second slot missing would not be a concern there are two issues with the Z7 that would not be welcome, no grip duplication of controls for vertical holding. No shutter release, no second AF-On button and fastest flash sync is 1/200. That was probably lowered from 250 because the Z7 has a ISO setting of 35 so you can get by without a ND filter to get down to 1/200 in a bright scene or when trying to create a low key shot in a normal room ambiance level. The low ISO extended range is actually more useful than the normal Nikon 1/200 1/320 sync speed.

Woodyg3

Contributor
If I hadn't experienced a problem with damaged images, I might not be so insistent on having 2 card slots. But on a couple of occasions, I've had images that had either pink or green fringe along one edge of the frames. I'm reasonably sure it happened with Lexar cards which is why I stick with SanDisk now.

I guess I balance you out, Cindy, because the two SD cards I have had fail are Sandisk, and I've yet to have a Lexar fail. :)

As far as the discussions of SD cards vs XQD, all you have to do is hold an XQD card in your hand to know it is built in a much more sturdy manner, and with no exposed contact pins.

Catherder

Every digital camera I've owned had 1 memory card until I got the D750, on that the 2nd card is overflow. My other cameras are set up the same way. I guess I've been lucky so far because I'm still using the same cards that were put in the cameras when I bought them.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I guess I balance you out, Cindy, because the two SD cards I have had fail are Sandisk, and I've yet to have a Lexar fail. :)

As far as the discussions of SD cards vs XQD, all you have to do is hold an XQD card in your hand to know it is built in a much more sturdy manner, and with no exposed contact pins.

But, but, but...my Nikon bodies don't use XQD. :( Then maybe Nikon needs to switch to one XQD card for their D7500 rather than one SD card. :beguiled: Just kidding...most people wouldn't want to incur the cost of those cards. ;)

Texas

I've been spooked enough (never too old to learn) to switch my D750 2nd card to backup rather than split jpg/nef's.

Woodyg3

Contributor
But, but, but...my Nikon bodies don't use XQD. :( Then maybe Nikon needs to switch to one XQD card for their D7500 rather than one SD card. :beguiled: Just kidding...most people wouldn't want to incur the cost of those cards. ;)

Yeah, the cards are expensive. And even the UHS-II SD cards are pretty darned expensive, as well. I see that Delkin just came out with XQD cards, but they are only $9 cheaper for a 64GB than the Sony.

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=xqd

Argh!

sharp shooter

I have always considered one card to be sufficient - until yesterday when I went out on a shoot with my D500 and bagged about a dozen of my 'best shots ever' - an Osprey catching fish.
When I returned home and opened the access door - no XQD card!! PANIC!! I've lost my 'great shots'!!
But no - all was well - there they were safely on the second card (SD). I had set it to 'overflow' (not backup), but my trusty D500 simply used the only card available.
Where was my XQD card? - still in my computer from the day before.
So two slots can overcome 'user error' - ie Leaving the card out altogether.
Mike

aroy

From what I gather, SD cards per say are no more prone to failure than other solid state media. What fails is mostly the contacts, either due to pin damage or as some have pointed out due to oxidation.

As I do not have a card reader, I use USB cable for transfer. In last 4 years I have yet not had a card failure. I must have taken the card at the most 5 times to test a new card, but my goto is still the 32GB I bought with the camera.

spb_stan

The removing and reinserting the SD is one of the main points of failure.The socket and carrier are both very thin lightweight plastic so the second more often failure is the 2 piece SD shell falling apart.
The post above about not having the card in slot 1 was saved by slot 2. But the camera will not shoot without card so that would not have been a lot of images, it reminds you right on the screen that you forgot a card. In the Z7 one never has to remove a card, its high-speed USB -c interface allows fast transfers to a storage device, faster than current card transfers

Regarding the D7500 not having a secure card...it is a different class of camera, it is not targeting advanced hobbyist or pros. Commercial photography is not the customer base for that camera when the best pro crop camera available is only a few hundred dollars more; D500. ALL Nikon pro camera have XQD for a few reasons so it is an additional indication of how Nikon targets the Z series.
The D5 and Z7/6 are both made in Japan at the Sendai plant which is oriented towards their highest end cameras. The Z7 IS a pro camera and built like one, unlike the Sony a7 series which is definitely a hobbyist camera build like an entry level. The D500, 850, 5 and Z are not for everyone and the D7500 was focused on hobbyists who wanted the speed and IQ but light cheaper less mission-critical body. For general photography, the D7200 is still hard to beat as a balance of price, flexibility, build quality and IQ that no other camera I know of has. It is the Toyota of cameras, whereas the D5 is the Ferrari, for most users the Toyota is just a better car. Nikon has indicated they will have a Z pro action sports camera so it makes sense they will have lower end Z mounts lower priced cameras also.the Z6 is really competitive for the advanced and general purpose pro-semi pro field, a rugged fast camera with most of the features of Z7 that costs $1000 more. The lower end body might have 2 SD slots, and the action, wildlife, sports version will have 2 slots possibly because action shooters do a lot more high count bursts and they are more likely not having high-speed backup available. It is all about choice and people understanding what they actually need.

Daz

I have always considered one card to be sufficient - until yesterday when I went out on a shoot with my D500 and bagged about a dozen of my 'best shots ever' - an Osprey catching fish.
When I returned home and opened the access door - no XQD card!! PANIC!! I've lost my 'great shots'!!
But no - all was well - there they were safely on the second card (SD). I had set it to 'overflow' (not backup), but my trusty D500 simply used the only card available.
Where was my XQD card? - still in my computer from the day before.
So two slots can overcome 'user error' - ie Leaving the card out altogether.
Mike

As has been stated, the cameras have the option to lock them so you cannot shoot without a card in the camera, and even IF you do not have this on it, it comes up with red writing saying DEMO on the back of the camera when you review. The fact is, XQD is the new format and just like SD people should have backups on them and not rely on just 1 card.

In a few years, cards will be obsolete and the cameras will have SSD's built into them with high speed transfer to the device of choice for editing.

spb_stan

Why are you saying the XQD is new? Millions have been sold over the last 4 years. In electronics that is a mature tech. To sell millions and only have 1 fail means it would be the most reliable item in your studio, more than the camera, lights, power, batteries, cables....