Tamron Announces 2nd Gen 150-600mm

Blacktop

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bikerbrent

can you name one quality product from a communist country?

Cigars.

mikew_RIP

Not bothered enough to research it but of the top of my head past or current examples include versions of the Nikon 50mm 1.4,85mm 1.8.the Nikon 1 V2 (maybe other models in the 1 range) and many if not all its 1 series lenses,without stripping your new Nikon body down you have no idea where some of the components come from.
Great if you dont want to knowingly support China i have no problem with that its your choice,i dont support or not support China i just buy what i want.

captain birdseye

I have owned 2 tamron lenses in the past and both had annoying issues leading me to come to the conclusion that their QC is questionable to say the least.
I do not think that moving production to China will improve things at all.

Bikerbrent

I have owned 2 tamron lenses in the past and both had annoying issues leading me to come to the conclusion that their QC is questionable to say the least.
I do not think that moving production to China will improve things at all.

I didn't want to seem too negative, but in over 50 years of photography I have had only 1 lens failure, and it was a Tamron. I have owned only one lens that was optically so bad I refused to use it, and it was a Tamron. Granted, this is a fairly small and restricted sample, but based on other comments I have seen about Tamron, I completely agree that moving production to China will NOT improve things.

Last edited:
I didn't want to seem too negative, but in over 50 years of photography I have had only 1 lens failure, and it was a Tamron. I have owned only one lens that was optically so bad I refused to use it, and it was a Tamron. Granted, this is a fairly small and restricted sample, but based on other comments I have seen about Tamron, I completely agree that moving production to China will NOT improve things.

You can probably find the same problems with any brand. There are people here who have had bad results with Nikon like the D600 debacle. Some had good results with customer service and some that were ready to bomb the place. I have one Tamron lens. It is the 150-600 and absolutely a wonderful lens, for me.

You really can't judge an entire brand on 1 or even 2 results. Now if wev does not get satisfaction from Tamron after all the problem with this lens I will think twice about buying a 2nd lens from them.

Scott Murray

You can imagine how I feel. I have been an ardent supporter of the Tamron lenses that I have -- when they work, they are, in concept and in action, excellent. The company's customer service and acknowledgement of responsibility is beginning to sour badly, however.
My 150-600 is a paper weight as it no longer focus's. It is too hard to send away for repairs here in Australia so easier to leave it to collect dust. Will get another one soon but it will not be a Tamron, this is the 2nd Tamron lens that has lost auto focus but luckily the other my 90mm macro I use 100% manual anyway so not an issue.

rocketman122

2 for 2 lenses having bad af. Shit, id send tamron japan a message. Maybe not to Repair for free but for some discount. Today internet has a lot of power to do good or bad. Link your post here as well. Btw what do u mean too hard to send away?

salukfan111

Korean products were all bad for a while but then they picked up the ball and now they can be quite good. They will build to whatever standard the client is willing to pay for.
+1
Tons of junker Japanese Sigmas out there. Standards are the key. I'm sure even Cosina makes some bad lens for customers when provided with poor specs and standards.

Horoscope Fish

Nothing but love for Tamron lenses here. While I don't own a 150-600mm my 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD and my 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD are my go-to lenses; ones I wouldn't want to be without them for a minute.

They're real and they're spectacular (my apologies to Terri Hatcher).

captain birdseye

You can imagine how I feel. I have been an ardent supporter of the Tamron lenses that I have -- when they work, they are, in concept and in action, excellent. The company's customer service and acknowledgement of responsibility is beginning to sour badly, however.

i just love the way you state "when they work" in your post.
Says it all really.

Zeke_M

The Gen I Tamzooka topped short list of lenses to get in my recent GAS spree.
When I read the entire "Saga of wev". I came to the conclusion that when a Tamzooka works, it works awesome. When it doesn't work. The experience is bad.
I bought Nikon. One's here. The 200-500 is next.
I'll wait a year or two to see if Tamzooka Gen II has a better reliability record.