Tamron 150-600 G2 Decision Time

fltsfshr

I've decided to expand my photographic aspirations. I'm looking at a Tamron G2 for use with my Z7 II. Any other options I should add or suggestions on this or another brand would be appreciated. The $$ aren't an object but I want something that does it all and doesn't obsolete itself. As I look over older posts it always seems that people find something they don't like about various lens.

Help me make a good decision please. Let me know your opinion of the good, the bad, and the ugly. There are some great photographers in here and I respect your photography and your opinions.

Thanks

BF Hammer

I understand the Tamron G2 version is much more respected than the G1. I personally have the Sigma 150-600mm C and never have had any regrets over it.

Danno

I do not have experience with the G2 150-600, but I did have the 70-200, and it was a good lens but not as fast as the 70-200 Z lens. There was a noticeable difference between the two.

I do have the Nikon 200-500 f5.6, and it works very well with the adapter. I do not see a noticeable difference between it on my Z6 versus my D7200 or D700. I believe others have had both the Tameron and Nikon. If you can, you should give the Nikon lens a shot. I love mine all though I do not use it as much as I used too.

Clovishound

Another satisfied 200-500 here. It works quite well on my Z5 with the FTZ. Not quite as long as the 150-600, but it is a constant F5.6, and the price is comparable. I got mine last year on sale for about $1050. it seems to go on sale from time to time.

Bikerbrent

I also personally have the Sigma 150-600mm C and never have had any regrets over it. Highly recommend you consider it over the Tamron G2.

Clovishound

Ran across this video on the top long telephoto lenses under $2000. It mentions both the Sigma 150-600 and the Nikon 200-500.

Guess which one came out as the number one overall in this class?

fltsfshr

Thanks everyone. Now I'm even more undecided. I guess this is part of the fun. I'm on the list for the Nikon 200-500. I like the weight of the Tamron. I like the features on the Sigma. It's a confusing decision to say the least.

wev

Contributor

fltsfshr

Thanks Wev for your input. I'm going with the Tamron. Is there anything else you would recommend that I purchase with it? I'll probably order it today or tomorrow.

Danno

Thanks Wev for your input. I'm going with the Tamron. Is there anything else you would recommend that I purchase with it? I'll probably order it today or tomorrow.
Get the TAP device so you can update the lens if Tamron provides any firmware updates. It is not essential, but it is handy if you do not have a camera shop near by that can do it for you.

fltsfshr

It's on order. I spoke with Tamron customer svc. She told me that any Serial Number above 055391 will be compatible with a Z711. I pick it up on April 1st.

Thank you all for your input.

fltsfshr

Showed up today. Found a ball head tripod on sale. Haven's shot a legitimate picture with it yet but it's fun playing with all the stuff it can do.

fltsfshr

Still playing with it. I couldn't tell if it was Flopsy or Mopsy but it is a Marsh Rabbit. This lens is awesome.
Bunny.JPG