Tamron 150-600 G1 replacement

Woodyg3

Contributor
Congratulations Woody that is great. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the lens. The weight is enough for me to switch. I am anxious to see some results.

I am trying to fill out my last piece of Z glass at least for a while. I want to get the 70-200 f2.8 Nikon but I am still saving. You know the thing is... if Pat were still here she would have gone and got it for me already. She would do stuff like that. She has purchased more than a couple hand guns over the years and more than a couple lenses. It is not that I am frugal... I just have to look at it from every angle before I pull the trigger. She was awful special.

I know what you mean. I keep thinking about needing a new refrigerator soon, making sure I have the money for property taxes at the end of the year, etc. I figure I will sell a couple of things to help the bank account rebound. :)

Peter7100

I know what you mean. I keep thinking about needing a new refrigerator soon, making sure I have the money for property taxes at the end of the year, etc. I figure I will sell a couple of things to help the bank account rebound. :)

A new lens is much more important than a new refrigerator ;)

lrlebron

I wish I could afford the Nikon 500mm pf but at the moment there are other things that are needed in the house. I may get the Nikon 200-500mm the next time it is in stock. That is a bit easier on the wallet.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I wish I could afford the Nikon 500mm pf but at the moment there are other things that are needed in the house. I may get the Nikon 200-500mm the next time it is in stock. That is a bit easier on the wallet.

Nikon changed where some of their gear is manufactured - so that along with the problem of cargo ships not getting unloaded means items are very slow to be in stock. You might want to put your name on a waiting list or just place an order online even if it is out of stock. Most retailers won't charge you until the item is in stock. Larger stores such as B&H get them in, but their waiting list is so long that none are left to fill the shelves. So it appears to be an ongoing battle with no stock when that really isn't the case.

Another option would be to order from a smaller store where they don't have such long lists.

Peter7100

Nikon changed where some of their gear is manufactured - so that along with the problem of cargo ships not getting unloaded means items are very slow to be in stock. You might want to put your name on a waiting list or just place an order online even if it is out of stock. Most retailers won't charge you until the item is in stock. Larger stores such as B&H get them in, but their waiting list is so long that none are left to fill the shelves. So it appears to be an ongoing battle with no stock when that really isn't the case.

Another option would be to order from a smaller store where they don't have such long lists.

In the UK I have had my name on a couple of stock alerts for over a year now with no updates. I think the lack of new stock has been driving up the prices in the secondhand market.

Woodyg3

Contributor
In the UK I have had my name on a couple of stock alerts for over a year now with no updates. I think the lack of new stock has been driving up the prices in the secondhand market.

True enough, but in the mad rush to get the latest Sony or Canon super mirrorless cameras and lenses, people are selling off their "old" stuff like the 200-500, so at least the lens is available.

I did have to send my 200-500 in for warranty work once, though, and it's nice to have the Nikon warranty on a new purchase.

lrlebron

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for all the suggestions. I have bought a refurbished Nikon 200-500 from the Nikon store. It was on sale for 999.95 and Nikon did not charge me sales tax or shipping.[/FONT]

BF Hammer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have bought a refurbished Nikon 200-500 from the Nikon store. It was on sale for 999.95 and Nikon did not charge me sales tax or shipping.

Congrats, I got that email also. I was checking back on this thread to alert you about the sale.

lrlebron

A couple of pictures with the new lens

20211026-DSC_0838-Edit.jpg

20211027-DSC_1231.jpg

harleridr

Hi,
I have the Nikon 200-500 mm and it has really sharp results. I just purchased a Nikon TC 14 II for it. You loose an f-stop but seems to have lost very little sharpness! I hope this helps.
Harle

Bikerbrent

Best of luck with your combination. I have seen mixed reviews of this combination. Also having only an F8 lens combination may cause autofocus issues with your cameras. Your best bet is the D-7200.