Tami Jo King's Photo Thread

Tami Jo

We went to a wetlands project here in Arizona which I never knew existed. It was a great experience seeing all the wildlife present and being able to enjoy the wonderful views. There were a bus load of children visiting and learning about conservation and how this area used to once be a thriving natural wetland. Time has altered it with climate changes and such. I am posting a few of the shots from this excursion today.
2319m1swwltjk.jpg

Tami Jo

And since there is vast amounts of water Dragonflies are every where. I love these and capture a few neat shots. I will going back again as the weather continues to cool off and perhaps at right before sunrise so I can catch a more wildlife. Hawks and falcons frequent the area along with coyotes and javalina. Perhaps I will get luck and capture a few of those.
2250m1tjk.jpg

Tami Jo

Nice! :)

I thought Arizona was basically a desert.

Jeff it is basically a desert at least in the southern part of the state. As you head up north it gets greener. Water is hard to find that is in the form of lakes and ponds but they do exist. This particular place used to be fed by the Santa Cruz River in days gone by. Now it's merely a wetland project fed off of reclaimed water... Being a resident of Arizona where water is a rarity makes me focus on what little bit may be found. I do love it here but having originated from Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes this was a bit of a climate change in my life LOL. But I have been here for decades now and while I miss some things the brutal winters is not one of them.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Love your photos. Hope you enjoy your wetlands as much as I do ours! How far is it from you? We have two wetlands created from reclaimed water, one is 1.5 miles and the other 3 miles away.

Tami Jo

Love your photos. Hope you enjoy your wetlands as much as I do ours! How far is it from you? We have two wetlands created from reclaimed water, one is 1.5 miles and the other 3 miles away.

Thanks Marilynne. I really enjoy yours as well. Lucky you to be so close. For me it's about 18 miles...but well worth the trip! Know that I know it exists I will be making frequent trips :eek: I am elated to have found it accidentally. It should open up a lot more photo opportunities. Before I would have to go a minimum of 35 miles to get to a small lake. This is much better and I believe that since it is not frequented near as much the wildlife will be more abundant.

Tami Jo

This shot was taken yesterday. These are Yellow Headed Blackbirds at the Wetlands Project. Not the best shot but I only got a few before they flew off. Hoping I fare better next trip and am able to move in closer to these pretty birds.
2187m1.jpg

RockyNH_RIP

Birds can be tough! Still not a bad shot.. I have tried several but not much luch... cannot get close enough or lens not long enough (or both!)

Pat in NH

Tami Jo

Thanks Pat. I hope when I go back I can get a better shot. I just ordered the Nikon 55-300 VR II lens i've been wanting maybe that will help extend my reach some.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

RockyNH_RIP

Thanks Pat. I hope when I go back I can get a better shot. I just ordered the Nikon 55-300 VR II lens i've been wanting maybe that will help extend my reach some.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

What have you been using up to now?? I have the 55-200, kind of wish I had bought the 55-300 at that time.. (not knowing what I would really need. I conserved on the funds some.) It actually does most of what I need but I would love to get a little longer.. even it was fixed focal..

Congrats on the order and enjoy!

Pat in NH

Tami Jo

What have you been using up to now?? I have the 55-200, kind of wish I had bought the 55-300 at that time.. (not knowing what I would really need. I conserved on the funds some.) It actually does most of what I need but I would love to get a little longer.. even it was fixed focal..

Congrats on the order and enjoy!

Pat in NH

The longest focal length currently is via a Tamron Lens 55-200 and while I do enjoy shooting with it I just need a bit more reach. I am happy to move my feet some and get closer but sometimes you can only get so close. Also the Tamron Lens was my first lens purchase and before I really knew much about VR which it does not have. But even without it I have really enjoyed shooting with it. All of my other lenses are Nikon. I am anxious to get the new lens and see how I like the extended focal length.

RockyNH_RIP

The longest focal length currently is via a Tamron Lens 55-200 and while I do enjoy shooting with it I just need a bit more reach. I am happy to move my feet some and get closer but sometimes you can only get so close. Also the Tamron Lens was my first lens purchase and before I really knew much about VR which it does not have. But even without it I have really enjoyed shooting with it. All of my other lenses are Nikon. I am anxious to get the new lens and see how I like the extended focal length.

Tami Jo, thank you for the additional info! I do not know what I want for longer yet but the 55-300 is too much overlap wth my 55-200.. That is why I am thinking of a longer fixed focal, just for those extra reach shots... The other option would be replace what I have with the 55-300.. I will be interested in seeing how you like it.

Enjoy!

Pat in NH

My 55-30mm VR used to be my main walk-around lens. Until I bought my 50mm f/1.8 lens, that I seem to use almost exclusively now.
If I were to go longer in the future, it would probably have to be something like the Sigma 50-500mm "Big Ma" lens.

Tami Jo

Tami Jo, thank you for the additional info! I do not know what I want for longer yet but the 55-300 is too much overlap wth my 55-200.. That is why I am thinking of a longer fixed focal, just for those extra reach shots... The other option would be replace what I have with the 55-300.. I will be interested in seeing how you like it.

Enjoy!

Pat in NH

Pat I will be sure and share my thoughts on the lens as soon as I have a chance to try it out. I just ordered so should get it next week can hardly wait. I am going to be passing along my 55-200 to a friend soon providing that I am happy with the 55-300. Which I anticipate being.