Talked out of a D600

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a 17-50 2.8, I needed a 50-150, GOD I have been on this site a week and I am done. You guys are the biggest bunch of snobs I have ever seen on a web forum. No support for the newer guy. Just you should do this you should do that. Wow talk about crushing the student on a budget.

Now come on chief, you don't tell us about your situation, and then you complain about what people think... We are all allowed to have opinions about what's the best setup, but usually people speak for themselves.
You bought what you bought and I for one certainly hopes it will fill your present needs. Since I don't know what you want to do with your equipment, I certainly can't offer my thoughts except that I think the D7100 is a fine camera and if you have the right lenses for your subjects, you can go a long way with it.

BackdoorArts

He's right, and he's wrong.

(please feel free to attribute the rest this to everyone else here instead of just me)

I am not a snob, but in this age of information there comes a point where, after some breaking in, that it becomes time to use the old, "Spare the rod and spoil the child", rule and spank someone for behavior that makes little sense in the big world. The choice then becomes to defend your decision and stick around or move on. Sometimes simply talking gear can become tedious for people like me who have done due diligence and have placed breadcrumbs and warning signs to be found on the road (forum), so when someone who has been here long enough to get a feel for the way things work for long-timers posts something that reads like a, ..., um, ..., "Hey, guys, look what I got that I've never talked about...", and I jump out from a behind the bush and call you on it, know that I've done the same either here or elsewhere and suffered a similar fate.

So, if nothing else - get the hell out of here. But, when you figure it out, come back and know that we've been in your shoes and are using our own scars to keep you from cutting yourself unnecessarily. Sorry, syntax lapse - I've been in your shoes and (for as much as an ass as I might seem to be) I want to make sure you spend your photo budget wisely.

Rick M

I have a 17-50 2.8, I needed a 50-150, GOD I have been on this site a week and I am done. You guys are the biggest bunch of snobs I have ever seen on a web forum. No support for the newer guy. Just you should do this you should do that. Wow talk about crushing the student on a budget.

I think you've made the right decision and am I'm very supportive. It was probably wrong of us to offer our opinions, since you weren't looking for affirmation of your decision. I can only hope you stay with us and forgive our transgressions.

SkvLTD

Biggest question is really - why jump to FX (especially if you're on a budget)? IMO if you're not making money/shooting in more adverse lighting conditions, there's next to no need for better gear unless you do have that disposable income to scratch the hobby itch.

I was on a budget, saved up, made $ with my 5100 and stepped up to my 600. I've also only really stuck with 1 DX lens over a long period of time (35/1.8, which kind of sort of was useable on FX) and otherwise got couple of vintage primes and the 70-300 that served me even better on FX. And selling both the 35 and 70-300 netted me about 0/$200 profit.

Its fine to be on a budget, but saving up for a better body (first IMO), then glass is a faster way to go than grinding through lesser options while you get there.