Suggestions for U1 and U2 Settings on my D7200

SkvLTD

I only use those 2 when there's an actual need to switch between 2 sets of settings quickly, just like everyone else mentioned. I never really keep 1 or the other for that random bird you'd notice while shooting street or anything like that. Very useful feature though, that's for sure.

Danno

Man, what a bunch of different things to consider. I appreciate all the input. It is like @Don Kuykendall said in the first reply... you have to figure out what is useful for you. There are several in this post I am going to fiddle with. The BIF works for my dog going crazy setting... I am never really ready for that and I fluster so easily. The other I think I will mess with is the JPeg setting for stuff at church. They always want jpegs quickly to put on the screens for kids events and stuff and that will help. And I like the idea of modifying the setup if I am going someplace where there is a lot of difference in lighting.

Thank you all for the input. I was literally stuck. Much appreciated.

Blade Canyon

I'll chime in. On my D600, U1 is set to HDR. The reason for that is because HDR does not work when you have RAW shooting turned on. It only works with JPEGs. When I try to use the HDR setting in any other mode, it's grayed out on the menu and I can't remember why it will not work. So, U1 is HDR.

U2 is "cinematic" settings recommended by various Youtube videos for getting filmlike video from DLSRs. Low sharpness, reduced saturation, etc.

Deezey

I mainly shoot manual. But I have U1 set up for action shooting so it's a simple dial turn and I can go right to shooting fast paced action or BIF without having to tinker with settings. U2 I still haven't set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06Honda

I upgraded from the D50 to the D7200 and have yet to use them. My preference is to adjust settings in the field as needed so saving anthing to either would not be used that much.

Danno

I upgraded from the D50 to the D7200 and have yet to use them. My preference is to adjust settings in the field as needed so saving anthing to either would not be used that much.

I was the same way... I really could not figure out what to use it for. That is why I posted the thread. I now have two setting. One I will use at Church for capturing baptisms. That is one of my jobs and they are often impromptu. I know the settings I need, but in the rush I have messed up a few that took a lot of post processing to try and salvage.

The other is going on walks with my dog. She is very laid back, but when she takes a notion she will run and run... I never can seem to catch a good shot of her in full gate.

I am thinking with these two User settings as start points I should have a higher success rate and reduce my stress level at the same time.

RussellHons

I actually have U1 set up to default settings, so that if I need to hand off my camera to someone to take a photo that I'm in (not very often) they can do that without having to figure out how to BBF, etc.

Jareb

U1: M with Auto ISO - Shutter AND Aperture Priority. First implemented for shooting MTB XC along a track, but now It's a main mode for me to shoot almost everything, especially in fast changing conditions.
U2: RAW + black and white JPG - for some self-educational reasons.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk