Struggling with Indoor Gymnasium Sport Events (Volleyball)

Horoscope Fish

Again thanks for the replies, I actually just bought a monopod today and took it to the game but you would be surprised how fast these girls move. For my first attempt with it I found it awkward and couldn't follow my daughter quick enough. But if I'm understanding Horoscope Fish and Rick M correctly, you both are still going with a zoom lens instead of a prime (like a 85mm/1.8)?
If you can get the reach you want with the 85mm f/1.8 then I wouldn't hesitate to suggest using it. It's going to be a juggling act, as is so often the case in photography, because the lighting is less than ideal. Finding the sweet spot will probably require some experimentation and sometimes you just have to go with what you have and get the best shots you can under the circumstances.

Can you break into The Fourth Digit on this? The Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 might be good choice but it's a $1000 lens, give or take.

Last edited:

Smoke

I can maybe break into 4 digits at some point....I might have to stow away 10 bucks a week in a milk carton so it can't be tracked by the wife :D, right now though, it would be tough to justify. On another note, can I buy just a ball head for the monopod I already have?

Krs_2007

I can maybe break into 4 digits at some point....I might have to stow away 10 bucks a week in a milk carton so it can't be tracked by the wife :D, right now though, it would be tough to justify. On another note, can I buy just a ball head for the monopod I already have?

Absolutely, Just make sure you check the specs that will hold the camera/lens combo you plan to use with it. There are so many options/brands to pick from. I personally use a ball head that uses the Arca Swiss type plate, so this will be something you really want to research. Is it better, couldn't tell you, but I am very happy with it and I have multiple plates for multiple ball heads that are all Arca type. I even have an L-Bracket that is Arca.

So if you pick Manfrotto they use a proprietary quick release so you will be stuck with that brand, at least that is what I remember but I am sure someone will correct if I am wrong.

I have 2 sizes, one for monopod and one for tripod and they both use the same plate so I dont have to switch out plates.

Here is the larger one I have.

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=3515

There are so many types, so take your time.

Horoscope Fish

If we're going to broach to topic of ball heads I'm going to say I totally agree with Kevin RE: Arca Swiss versus the Manfrotto QD plate/system. I know the latter is a really popular option but they were nothing but trouble for the girlfriend and I. We're both 100% Arca Swiss now (tripods, monopods, the whole nine yards) and I recommend it highly.

Rick M

Arca Swiss is the way to go. Not necessarily the brand but the compatibility. My CarrySpeed straps have built in Arca plates, so having the heads and extra plates match eliminates a lot of swapping.

Rick M

Some of the better Benro (who also makes MeFoto) heads are Arca-Swiss type. All of my Tripods/heads are Benro/MeFoto now.

fotojack

Like Kevin, I, too, use a ball head on my Manfrotto and Benro monopods. Much easier to rotate and track moving subjects, while adding a degree of camera and lens stabilization. Here's a life long tip for you to remember...if it moves: Shutter priority; if it's dead or still...Aperture priority. :) Of course, like anything in photography, this "rule of thumb" is constantly subject to change. :) But I swear by it. :)
You're going to laugh, but for hockey games, I use an 18-105 "all purpose" lens. :) So....use what ya got....just adapt it to your situation. :)