Still have your first SLR?

nononadanope

Curious to know if anyone remembers the first camera they got/bought? I don't specifically mean an SLR camera. I asked for a camera when I was 8. I don't remember the brand (I did try searching for it through google images using various manufacturers) but I remember it was a point and shoot, green in color, had no zoom, and was about 5" L x 1.5" H x 2" W.

kevy73

My first SLR was a Pentax MG....

That got stolen whilst I was travelling overseas. When I got back to Australia I bought a Nikon F501

Still have that.

nononadanope

My first SLR was a Pentax MG....

That got stolen whilst I was travelling overseas. When I got back to Australia I bought a Nikon F501

Still have that.

Sorry to hear about your first SLR getting stolen while travelling overseas.

----

I may be mistaken but it seems that Pentax cameras were quite popular back in the 70's - 80's.

DraganDL

"Or remember what their first SLR camera was" - applicable to me.

MTL3 Praktica MTL 3 - Camerapedia, purchased (if I remember it well) in 1979. After that one, came my first Nikon - FM! Followed by (second hand) legendary "F" (had seen Middle East wars, in the hands of a journalist) http://goo.gl/5SvrRG ...then came FE. None of them in my possession any more... But I kept a couple of AI/S lenses though...

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Curious to know if anyone remembers the first camera they got/bought? I don't specifically mean an SLR camera. I asked for a camera when I was 8. I don't remember the brand (I did try searching for it through google images using various manufacturers) but I remember it was a point and shoot, green in color, had no zoom, and was about 5" L x 1.5" H x 2" W.

Was it some type of 110 film camera (aka pocket camera)? Those came out in the early to mid 70's. Here is a photo from online:

KodakPocketInstamatic20Camera2-vi.jpg

Daniel Aegerter

My first SLR was a Minolta X-700 I got when I was about 14. No idea how many rolls of film I went through. So many memories... I don't have that camera anymore but the Minolta 7000 is still around.

sent from my prototype iPhone 6

nononadanope

Good question, I'm wondering too... I thought it was a disposable flash cube but on closer inspection it's not that at all...

That's what I had thought when I first noticed it.
@carguy - Very well could be for that. I tried to Google what it may be by using several different search terms and even doing a search by cropping the photo to only show that piece but nothing; just gave me photographs of cars and car mounts lol. I found a pdf from Kodak, giving information on the history of their cameras. The original cost for your 110 was $28, back in 78-81 which means it would cost around $100 now, if you bought it new today.

I also noticed while doing Google searches that JC Penny use to make cameras as well. Doesn't really surprise me though since Sears, Roebuck, and Company use to make firearms.

Last edited:

nononadanope

My first SLR was a Minolta X-700 I got when I was about 14. No idea how many rolls of film I went through. So many memories... I don't have that camera anymore but the Minolta 7000 is still around.

sent from my prototype iPhone 6

Ahh memories; it's a great thing to have. (most of the time)

Woodyg3

Contributor
I started with a Brownie, then had an Instamatic, then an Argus C3, and finally a Konica Autoreflex T for my first SLR.

Konica.jpg

Shutter priority, perfect for the sportsphotography I was doing, especially when using the 135mm f/3.5 lens.