Starter light set for new business. Your opinion is appreciated!

WayneF

Anyone can call themselves a photographer and charge people money for photos. That's not the hard part, Craig's List is full of these fauxtographers. I can hand my 12 yr old son a box camera, and he'd do a better job than most of them. Most of those "wedding photographers selling pictures" won't even be around a year from now.

LOL - I would call that an "attitude". :) I was not speaking of 12 year olds. Here is one wedding photographer that offers meaningful real world tips, using on-camera flash (one speedlight):

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/

Yes, a four light studio setup is a different situation, but fantastically wonderful things (and generally more useful things, much more portable) can be done with one on-camera flash, by anyone that wants to try to find out what its about. Specifically there, see the list of archived articles in the blue box at right (header: Articles, specifically those numbered 1..17). It is really not about weddings at all, it is about photography with on-camera flash (bounce mostly).

Stuff we all need to know, stuff possible for all, all it takes is to try a little. We get much better real fast.

Dziadzi19

I am sooooooooooo glad that I joined this forum! :) What I have gleaned so far (without doing any research, yet), is that I should be looking at "strobe" lighting. That AlienBees are strobes. That I need more than one strobe. I need at least 2 softboxes or umbrellas and stands, and at least 2 remote triggers. Anybody have a "ballpark" figure of what that gear might cost?

I sure hope that I am not presenting myself as a "pain-in-the-ass" to those of you who are real pros. :)

Keep this in perspective, guys. The OP is asking if a $50 eBay CFE light bulb setup is good enough for a studio business. You starting throwing out stuff like watt seconds, and heads are going to start spinning and the guy is going to end up even more confused.

Dziadzi19 - You need to do a lot more homework on studio lighting. A single SB-800 is not going to cut the mustard, nor is that cheap lighting kit, nor is the two of them combined.

Take a serious look at the AlienBees units, they're good. Myself and others here use them. Opinions on this will vary, but I believe you need at least:
  • ​x2 B800 units
  • x2 modifiers (softboxes or umbrellas)
  • x2 stands
  • x2 remote triggers (like PocketWizards)
You'll also want to get a stand for your SB-800 to be able to use it as a 3rd light. That's about a bare minimum studio setup for anyone even remotely serious about entering into the studio portrait business...and that's just the lighting. You'll also need to purchase at least one backdrop and stand to hold it.

​There's a lot more to this than just a $50 eBay kit.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am sooooooooooo glad that I joined this forum! :) What I have gleaned so far (without doing any research, yet), is that I should be looking at "strobe" lighting. That AlienBees are strobes. That I need more than one strobe. I need at least 2 softboxes or umbrellas and stands, and at least 2 remote triggers. Anybody have a "ballpark" figure of what that gear might cost?

I sure hope that I am not presenting myself as a "pain-in-the-ass" to those of you who are real pros. :)

I've already linked the website on where to look at. You just need to do your part by doing some research, compare the prices since that will drive most of your decision.

I personally use the Einstein E640 and I use the cybersync wireless transmitter / receivers which are much cheaper than the pocket wizards.

Paul C. Buff - Packages

Browncoat

...fantastically wonderful things (and generally more useful things, much more portable) can be done with one on-camera flash, by anyone that wants to try to find out what its about.

I've followed NvN for years, in addition to David Hobby and several others who are known for their strobe work. That's really beside the point.

There's a difference between reading about lighting and knowing about lighting. Just like there's a difference between whipping out a credit card and buying gear because someone told you to versus buying something because you understand what you need and why it works. There is also a difference between flash used outdoors as fill or key lighting and flash used in a studio setting for traditional portraiture.