Sony user moving to Nikon D7200 and looking for some advice on lenses please

daveward

I just found this thread and relish the chance to follow-up on the short debate brewing re: FX vs DX. I have noticed reading many forum posts that many members have multiple cameras, often both DX and FX. I believe I understand the "which is better" debate; and, I surely recognize that having two cameras, each with a forte is a great thing. What one poster in this thread was trying to get to is this question: if you could only have one which would you choose as the all-around best, FX or DX? I'm not trying to get THE definitive answer as there will never be one....but....I believe the reasons for taking a position would enlighten those of us who keep wondering about having one or the other (but not both).

I expect someone to raise the price/cost issue, so let's ask the question both ways:

1) Which is better: FX or DX, for your one and only camera (hypothetically for you multiple camera owners)?
2) Which is better: FX or DX, (and price being no object) for your one and only camera (hypothetically for you multiple camera owners)?

3) Optional fill-in-the blank question: If you had only one camera and to your eye you always produce extremely pleasing results it's because you use a(n):

a) DX camera
b) FX camera

Lastly, I appreciate that differences in price and weight will affect your thinking, but what I'm trying to flesh out is the quality of the images...if you can speak to this issue. Thanks!!!

Bikerbrent

There is not really much to add to this discussion. The D7500 has come out, but many consider this a somewhat crippled D7200. The D850 came out as a great FX camera if you pocket book can handle the camera and glass cost and your back the weight cost.

Iansky

Welcome to this crazy house of knowledge - I am not familiar with the 7200 but there are many on here who can provide extensive guidance on the cameras and lenses.

I do personally use primes on one of cameras for street / documentary and as such only have one zoom lens - the amazing 24-120 F4. Not a cheap lens but it delivers superb images and on an APSC sensor delivers the equivalent of 36-180mm so very versatile. You can buy this lens used for around £500.00 here in the UK so not cheap but cheaper than new £900+.

Good luck.

JMB

I purchased & simply love the new Nikon 18-300 3.5-6.3G zoom lens on my D7100 - soon to be D7500!
It does it all - light - fast - sharp.
It is my go-to lens.
Though sometimes controversial, Ken Rockwell praises it in his review: Nikon 18-300mm VR Review
Have fun!