Software Suggestions

Supernova5124

As I’m fairly new to photography, I don’t know much about software at all. I’m mostly YouTube educated when it comes to the little knowledge I do have, so I do know about Nikon’s NX Studio and have downloaded that. Are there any other applications I should get?

Fred Kingston

A lot of folks use Adobe's Lightroom for the Catalogue aspect. Taking pictures is one aspects. Editing is another, but the one most folks start late on until their overwhelmed is a method of cataloguing/storing their images for later retrieval...

Woodyg3

Contributor
Lightroom/Photoshop is the best way to go in my opinion. It will take a while to get up to speed, but that is the case with any worthwhile software package.

Supernova5124

I see there are two options for Lightroom, you can get just Lightroom for $10/month or Lightroom + photoshop for $20/month. What does photoshop do that Lightroom doesn’t, and is there any reason to go with the bundle?

Fred Kingston

I see there are two options for Lightroom, you can get just Lightroom for $10/month or Lightroom + photoshop for $20/month. What does photoshop do that Lightroom doesn’t, and is there any reason to go with the bundle?

Search for Adobe's Photography Plan... It includes both Lightrooms, Photoshop, and 20G of cloud storage... It's $9.99/month

Clovishound

That's the one I use. I prefer to use an $80 external drive to backup and store my pictures, rather than paying an additional $10 a month for a TB of storage.

Dawg Pics

I use Affinity photo. It is 69.99 one time license fee. I think they did one major upgrade since I got it. I runs pretty much like Photoshop. They have lots of tutorials on using it.

BF Hammer

I take the starving artist approach. I'm all about open-source and freeware.

I import and organize images with Nikon NX-studio (Or whatever the current package is called).

I shoot Raw+JPEG and do most of my image postprocessing with RawTherapee. It will edit jpeg and tiff files also.

All other work that requires using layers, applying filters, and cloning gets exported from RawTherapee to GIMP. They integrate to each other a little. That is normally my last step to paste my watermark on a photo and export as a .jpg.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I started out with the Nikon NX or whatever it is. Then I tried GIMP which worked pretty well with a learning curve involved. Then RawTherapee (a big learning curve). See the trend ..FREE software. Then I purchased Adobe PS Essentials which worked well but was limited. Finally, I have settled on ON1 Raw which works well for me now. It can be purchased, or it is available through subscription. I said I would never do the subscription, but I did and if you decide to drop it later, the software you have is yours to keep/use.

Start with the free stuff and as you get some experience under your belt decide on something to purchase.

wildshots

I agree with cwgrizz. Many of the image editing programs are so advanced that many of us would take years to become proficient with them.

There is one small piece of software that I have used for years. Irfanview ( https://www.irfanview.com/ ). It's free although the owner does accept donations. It will do a lot. It will let a beginner improve images that were unusable out of the camera. It bears a good once over.

Sam

Bonky

I agree with cwgrizz. Many of the image editing programs are so advanced that many of us would take years to become proficient with them.

There is one small piece of software that I have used for years. Irfanview ( https://www.irfanview.com/ ). It's free although the owner does accept donations. It will do a lot. It will let a beginner improve images that were unusable out of the camera. It bears a good once over.

Sam
...but not available for Mac users.

Richard

Fred Kingston

I don't know...I don't use Nikon's editing software... The few times I tried their tethering and Wifi software, it pretty much sucked, so I didn't/don't waste time with their other software...

lightcapture

If you use Mac computer or iPhone, Apple's 'Photos' editing program is excellent and intuitive to use.
It's my main editing program because it's so easy.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 10.55.29 AM.jpeg