Slides, negatives, and moving

Sandpatch

I'd carry them in my car, especially if they are of irreplaceable value to you. Items can get lost in household moves.

You're wise in taking time to research commercial scanning. There are a lot of variables in cost, resolution and where the work is done. Some vendors send them overseas for scanning, which greatly concerns me. I too have slides to scan and am sitting on a fence deciding if I should pay a vendor to do it or buy an Epson V600 or V800 and do it myself with greater peace of mind. Either way it will be a spendy endeavor.

Texas

Do it yourself is a whole lot of slow mindless work for minimal return.

I sent all mine to India to be scanned (in multiple batches in case of loss), picking the ones to be provided in high res on cd's.

And then tossed 95% of my slides and prints after moving things to two cloud services. After a half dozen moves, and dealing with obsolete, large, and fragile slide projectors and cubes/trays.

As I got older, I've come to realize that my photos are really valuable only to me. Not like my heirs will treasure them.

Funny thing about excess "stuff". It becomes a job to keep track of it all. Confession: I still have a couple bedrooms and a partial attic full of such stuff. Hey, I might need it someday !

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

I'd carry them in my car, especially if they are of irreplaceable value to you. Items can get lost in household moves.

You're wise in taking time to research commercial scanning. There are a lot of variables in cost, resolution and where the work is done. Some vendors send them overseas for scanning, which greatly concerns me. I too have slides to scan and am sitting on a fence deciding if I should pay a vendor to do it or buy an Epson V600 or V800 and do it myself with greater peace of mind. Either way it will be a spendy endeavor.

It is an overwhelming amount of images. I have prints, slides, and negatives, and I don't even have all of them. There are still some left at the house. Some of the slides are damaged with fungus, others have a lot of trash on them. It isn't necessary to archive all of them, but I still have to go through them.
It didn't take me all that long to scan one tray of slides. I can always do that and then pick out the ones that are worth making into higher resolution.