Single Point Focus.

Deezey

I use Single Point Focus for everything. But I usually have my AE-L/AF-L button set to AF On. For birding and action shots it seems to be much faster. I can have the camera already focusing and then the shutter button only has to turn on VR and take the pic. None of the annoying pause and snap.

SacrificeTheory

I started using single point autofocus, but my question is, what happens when say you're shooting a couple that is posing. Normally you aim for the eyes, but when it's two subjects, do you put the focus point in between their heads?

nikonpup

then you need to figure the f stop so they are in focus. Get something head size, change the distance between them. Look for a depth of field chart on the internet for the lens your are using.

Mis Adam

Now that I have my D7100 in front of me I can properly answer you question. If you are in AF-S, which is single focus point, but in AF-S AUTO you can not move the focus icon around nor see one as it is in AUTO.

Holding the camera as if you were going to take a picture, do this:
1. Press the button in that is located just below the lens release for changing lenses.
2. On the right hand side front dial rotate the wheel. This will change you from AF-S Auto to AF-S and you have control.

Hope that helps. Still want to know what the up close mode is. LOL :)

yay you saved the day. I thought maybe I have been out of the shooting loop so long I forgot how to work a camera. I logged on for answers and by golly, I love that I have my own team I can trust to get me out of a minor DUH moment. back on track now, missed the sunset but its ok there will be others. and now I know Thank you.

JJM

So in AF-S you focus with the single point in the centre. When you say "recompose" to shoot the subject to one side how does it stay in focus. I have read to use the arrow/ok dial at the back but this involves putting the camera down lower to access it and this surely loses the focus? If I were to try to access the dial without moving the camera I would poke my eye out. I know I sound stupid but could somebody be patient with a learner and explain? Many thanks in advance.

yauman

So in AF-S you focus with the single point in the centre. When you say "recompose" to shoot the subject to one side how does it stay in focus. I have read to use the arrow/ok dial at the back but this involves putting the camera down lower to access it and this surely loses the focus? If I were to try to access the dial without moving the camera I would poke my eye out. I know I sound stupid but could somebody be patient with a learner and explain? Many thanks in advance.

Ok, put the little focus square where you want to focus (usually the eye closest to the camera). Now press the shutter button half-way down - the AF will lock in the focus (you should hear a beep if you didn't turn off beeping!) Keeping your shutter button pressed half way down, now move your camera around and recompose - and when you are happy with your composition, press the shutter button all the way down and you took the picture. As long as you have your shutter button half way down, the focus will be locked in to the focus point you have select, even if you moved the little focus square away from the eye, it's still focused on the eye - that's how ALL auto focus cameras work. Now with the D7100, you can reprogram some other buttons like the AE/AL button to have the function of focus lock but the factory default is pressing the shutter button half way down to lock in focus.

JJM

OK Yauman many thanks I have been worried moving the camera would lose the focus but I now find I can just use the multi selector with my thumb therefore moving the focus point without poking my eye out.