Sigma 50-500mm vs Sigma 150-500mm lens

BackdoorArts

Geoff, I'm looking for a local place to rent the 300f4 with either a 1.4x or 1.7x for a week to see what it's like before jumping in. I like my sigma, but would love a little added sharpness, and the more I shoot with primes the more I'm convinced that if sharpness is that important then it's the best way to go. I'd also love to do the same with the Sigma 120-300/2.8, which my brother has for his Canon, though it's harder to find. Unfortunately, the only local rental place has neither.

BackdoorArts

Can't find a new 300 f4 to rent to save my life, only the 2.8. Amazon has a fairly liberal return policy, so I may just need to use to consider any restocking and shipping fee as the rental some time this spring if it doesn't work out.

BooBoos, generally if I have a long lens on a camera I've got a "walk around lens" (24-85FX or 18-105DX) on another body with me just in case something pops up.

Epoc

I own the 150-500mm. Picked mine up 2nd hand like brand new for $700AUD with 9 months warranty from an older lady who simply found it too cumbersome. Great bang for your buck IMO. I bought mine mainly for sports. Definitely a daytime lens. It's a light sponge. No focus issues with mine. Quite heavy to handhold for long periods and zoom will creep if pointed down. VR is excellent.

Couple of samples from a recent shoot on an overcast day:

e6e8emy8.jpg

e4yzuguq.jpg

ygaqenyv.jpg