Sigma 150-600??????

cbay

Ime fairly convinced there are no good or bad units and the amount of freeze you get is related to how much you use it,i used mine nearly every day so had loads of problems.
From what i remember yours seemed quite frequent though. I was using mine just about every day there for a while, which makes me think maybe if you could rent another or something to make sure it wasn't an abnormal amount? I can go for lots of days of 80+ shots with no freeze then out of nowhere it happens, flip a switch and all is good.

10 Gauge

I got some good pix of the fawns that decided to come again for breakfast this morning. :)

The best I could possibly ask for @ 6400 ISO and 1/200s at 600mm!

DSC_5225_DxO.jpg

captain birdseye

this one was at 600mm f7.1. it is cropped by about 30%.
one of my first pics with the sigma.DSC_1578.jpg no added sharpening. i just adjusted the shadows and highlights because the light was from the side and harsh.
default lens settings but i have since set it to focus accuracy priority and dynamic os.
the sigma works pretty well as much as i expected it to and is great for the price.
i just wish i could find more subjects. looking forward to the autumn and winter migrants to arrive.

Last edited:

nickt

Well, I went with the Sigma. That was my original leaning, but I did want to give the Tamron some more thought. I got it from Amazon for an easy return if need be. Amazon itself didn't have any at the moment, but I chose a 'fulfilled by Amazon' seller who is an authorized Sigma dealer. Got the dock too. Thanks to everyone for their comments and samples.

mikew_RIP

Well, I went with the Sigma. That was my original leaning, but I did want to give the Tamron some more thought. I got it from Amazon for an easy return if need be. Amazon itself didn't have any at the moment, but I chose a 'fulfilled by Amazon' seller who is an authorized Sigma dealer. Got the dock too. Thanks to everyone for their comments and samples.

Congratulations,safest choice i think.

nickt

So did you get it yet?
Yes! I haven't got to play with it as much as I wanted. Been rainy or very overcast when I had time to play. Heavy, ~5lbs is not much weight until you hold it up to your face and try to keep it perfectly still, haha. I'm going to have to practice my technique. So far no issues, I snapped a bunch of shots of 'nothing' just to see that it works.

captain birdseye

Yes! I haven't got to play with it as much as I wanted. Been rainy or very overcast when I had time to play. Heavy, ~5lbs is not much weight until you hold it up to your face and try to keep it perfectly still, haha. I'm going to have to practice my technique. So far no issues, I snapped a bunch of shots of 'nothing' just to see that it works.
i have been having the same problem with the weather since getting my lens too. it has usually been over cast and wet or harsh light with a strong breeze.
i have managed to find some easy targets to evaluate the lens and find it to be acceptably sharp right through its range.
if you have the dock i would suggest enabling dynamic os and focus accuracy to one of the custom settings.

bandit993

I just bought the sigma 150-600mm today. Shot some pics with it. I still need time to get used to it , but I find it is very sharp at 400mm, but does drop off some after that. Like I said though I still need time to get used to it. I think I am really going to like it though..

mikew_RIP

I just bought the sigma 150-600mm today. Shot some pics with it. I still need time to get used to it , but I find it is very sharp at 400mm, but does drop off some after that. Like I said though I still need time to get used to it. I think I am really going to like it though..

Have you checked the focus fine tune at 600mm,it could be a reason for it looking a bit soft.

NealB

i have been having the same problem with the weather since getting my lens too. it has usually been over cast and wet or harsh light with a strong breeze.
i have managed to find some easy targets to evaluate the lens and find it to be acceptably sharp right through its range.
if you have the dock i would suggest enabling dynamic os and focus accuracy to one of the custom settings.

I received my 150-600mm Sports three days ago and have the same problem. It has not stopped raining since it arrived. The test shot so far is the dog sleeping on the couch.

DerekC

I have read this thread with interest as I have only been a Nikon owner for about a month. I bought the Sigma 150-600 Sport, mainly for aircraft photography. Bought the USB dock with so I could fine tune the lens. So far I have only adjusted the focusing speed. I'm pleased with the results not found the images soft at 600mm to the point adjustment is required. The lens achieves focus quickly and holds well on all aircraft types.
Here's a couple from last Saturday at an airshow in Scotland. The display was over the sea so the aircraft was some distance away.
For these images I used the lens on a Manfrotto tripod with Gimbal head.

Derek

b17_sally_b.jpg
typhoon_scottish_airshow_7a.jpg

mikew_RIP

I have read this thread with interest as I have only been a Nikon owner for about a month. I bought the Sigma 150-600 Sport, mainly for aircraft photography. Bought the USB dock with so I could fine tune the lens. So far I have only adjusted the focusing speed. I'm pleased with the results not found the images soft at 600mm to the point adjustment is required. The lens achieves focus quickly and holds well on all aircraft types.
Here's a couple from last Saturday at an airshow in Scotland. The display was over the sea so the aircraft was some distance away.
For these images I used the lens on a Manfrotto tripod with Gimbal head.

Derek

b17_sally_b.jpg
typhoon_scottish_airshow_7a.jpg

Nice images,to be fair though at that sort of distance you could have front or back focus and it may not show.

DerekC

Nice images,to be fair though at that sort of distance you could have front or back focus and it may not show.

Yes I agree it may not show, but I have used long lens in the past where image quality at the long end can be very poor. I have been pleased with the IQ at 600mm regardless of the distance.
The image below was taken at East Kirkby Airshow at 500mm D800 1/400s F/9 ISO100. I don't think there was any cropping.
p1368115337-4.jpg

Derek