Sigma 150-600 in customers hands

BackdoorArts

The sport version. I'm amazed they launch a product and then tell you that it takes close to five months before you can have one. I assumed many would wait on the C version. Maybe they do and Sigma simply can't manufacture fast or plenty enough.

The Tamron might be a bit less sharp but I don't care that much. The price difference is good for maybe another FX lens.

Three factors here - how many were pre-ordered (my understanding from Sigma reps at PhotoPlus was that the number was higher than expected), how many lenses are allocated to each dealer, and how does your order stack in with the other two?

When I got back from PhotoPlus there were lenses to be had here in the US, and now everywhere is listed as "pre-order" so I suspect initial demand far outweighed production. I don't blame Sigma for underestimating as it surely beats the other option. As long as you haven't been charged for the lens yet then it's just the frustration of early adopters.

J-see

I think this country isn't very high on the priority list of Sigma. I probably was too late with ordering but it wouldn't have made much sense to order one before I had some clue what the lens was about. I ordered after reading the first serious review.

In the end it matters less, I swapped to the Tamron that suddenly is very available here and initially was my first choice. I'll spend the other half on something in the short range.

Rob Bye

My Sigma, one of the first to reach Canada, arrived this morning. As expected, it's quite a beast!

After giving it a thorough inspection, testing it on a couple of cameras, I set it down long enough to snap some comparison photos:

15660442857_4f325850cd_b.jpg
From top to bottom, we see the Sigma 150-600, its counterpart from Tamron, then my "big" Nikon 70-200 f/2.8.

15658887360_8fb6febc3c_b.jpg
Just the two 150-600s. Though similar in size, the Sigma is noticeably heavier.

15844287551_65b2bbfa30_b.jpg
Sigma or Tamron, they're both about the same length. The Sigma's (very nice) metal lens hood accounts for an extra centimetre.

15844282521_02bbde3962_b.jpg
The business end is where you see the most difference. The Sigma has a 105mm filter thread, the Tamron's is "only" 95mm.

Tomorrow, I'll get busy tuning the Sigma to a couple of camera bodies (using FocusTune for the cameras and my Sigma USB dock for the lens), then I'll shoot comparison images against my Tamron. Stand-by for the results...

Geoffc

As a Tamron owner I have the following comments. The Tamron takes a very good picture, even handheld and at the price point it's fantastic. As with any lens of this size, the more the photographer gets right the greater the reward.

The Tamron lens is one of the few things I've bought that exceeded my expectations. Also, the weight is good for the focal length and my wife happily walks around with it on her D7100.

As to the Sigma, it may be even better, but I suspect you will need to use it correctly to enjoy the difference. It's also heavier by some way which may affect some people. I suppose better has never equalled lighter in the world of photography.

Being me I would love to try one and see how they compare in actual use and then I would probably end up buying one having come up with some very loose justification.

One thing we have been doing with ours is actually using monopods, rather than leaving them in the car. I even bought a second heavy weight Manfrotto 681B as my wife took a liking to mine. So whilst handheld with VC is impressive, the monopod takes it up a level. It's also really useful to support it when you are waiting around as I was when my daughter did a parachute jump recently.

I look forward to seeing some actual results from members of the forum, particularly those who have used the 150-500 in the past with good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rick M

I would have held out for the sport, the dock allows for excellent focus customization and future firmware upgrades. I'm faced with the same painful wait on the 80-300 2.8 Olympus. Unexpected demand, but worth the wait.

Rob Bye

As the purpose of the USB dock has already been well explained, I'll just mention the dock itself needed a firmware update for compatibility with the 150-600. There are presently no updates available for the new lens.

gusflores

So sigma expects us to buy a docking part and upgrade it already. Sigma should Optimize the Lens for us! the 150-600mm or the 18-300mm

Rob Bye

So sigma expects us to buy a docking part and upgrade it already. Sigma should Optimize the Lens for us! the 150-600mm or the 18-300mm

You read that wrong. I said the lens does not presently have a firmware upgrade available. It was the dock which needed an update to make it compatible with the new lens.

You don't need to ever buy the USB dock. Because it ensures Sigma's new line of lenses will be compatible with future Nikon bodies, I consider the dock a huge plus for Sigma. I can think of past instances where third party lenses became unusable, because Nikon changed something inside the camera's coding.