Sigma 150-600 C - OS motor issues

SteveH

Hi All,
My Sigma 150-600 C is currently off with Sigma as I somehow managed to get some fungus growing inside, so I thought I'd have it properly removed before it got too bad. While reassembling and testing the lens, they reported that the OS motor needs replacing.
This is the second time this has needed replacing, as within a week of buying the lens 4 years ago, it became very noisy. So I have asked Sigma if I have a bad copy, or is there something in particular that I'm doing wrong with the lens that is damaging it (A polite way of asking if OS system is particularly weak)

Sigma have responded today with "We would suggest turning the OS off when the lens is removed from the camera. The OS is a floating optic that moves into its active position when powered. If the lens is removed when its still in its active position then it could be vulnerable."

I don't remove the lens while the OS is still active, but it generally switches off about 2 secs after releasing the shutter button, so I wonder if they mean the element is floating all the time until the system is switched off, or the power is cut by removing the lens? Has anyone else had similar issues with the 150-600? Google searches don't show this as a common problem...

Bikerbrent

I have had my Sigma 150-600mm C for over 4 years and have had no issues. And during this time I could not tell you the number of times I have forgotten to turn off OS before removing the lens from the camera (my 74 year old brain is not what it used to be).

SteveH

Thanks for the responses everyone, glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't switch it off before removing... I will do so in future, but I think I may start to stash away my pennies with a view to replacing the lens in the next year or so.

Bikerbrent

I finally heard about turning off the OS when removing the lens and even called sigma to verify this. They replied that yes OS should be turned off prior to removing it from the camera. This lens is too expensive for me NOT to try and rember to turn it off, but I really think that sucks!

SteveH

I finally heard about turning off the OS when removing the lens and even called sigma to verify this. They replied that yes OS should be turned off prior to removing it from the camera. This lens is too expensive for me NOT to try and rember to turn it off, but I really think that sucks!

I agree - For something that they say could damage the lens, the details are very scant and not everyone reads the manual for a lens.

Oh well, I will do it in future - I haven't actually had any cost mentioned to me by Sigma for replacing the OS motor yet, they quoted to repair the initial problem and found the OS issue during post-repair testing, but haven't asked for any authorization for an increased repair bill.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I always used to turn off VR before shutting down any camera. One day I had forgotten - not sure if I changed the lens, but the first time afterwards when I pressed the shutter button (D750), the viewfinder went black and ERR was displayed on the top. A second press of the shutter resolved the issue. Every day for a while, the first shutter press wound up causing the same problem. Then I noticed if I waited to turn off the camera until it went into standby, it rarely ever happened.

Now I usually leave VR on when turning off the camera, but recently when I removed my 300mm PF and the 1.7x TC, that's when the Sport VR began acting up. Normally I always turn VR off when removing a lens, but that time I forgot - and was aware of it right away. I'm sure the VR wasn't active, but it's a hard lesson to learn. Now I will always try to remember to turn it off before swapping lenses. Usually I only swap lenses when the body is off, but I didn't that time. :(

BF Hammer

This is a first for me. I have had my 150-600mm C lens for 2.5 years but I use on tripod/monopod more than handheld. I rarely turn on OS because of that.

blackstar

This is a two-year-old thread now. But I just got my Sigma 150-600C and like to share some experience and thoughts. I purchased this lens mainly for using it with z6ii and I heard or read somewhere that since z6ii has its built-in VR, it is no need to use the VR on the lens. Furthermore, using both VR in body and lens may cause mutual interference and hinder or worsen their effectiveness. Is this true? For now, I always set lens VR (OS) off. I also found something on z6ii very pleasing: If you have VR ON on z6ii and set it on a tripod, it automatically turns VR off (you don't need to turn it off). Then when you remove it from tripod, it turns VR back on! Is this part of the original settings or something I missed somewhere? Any comments appreciated.

Last edited:

BF Hammer

First I have heard of a Z body auto detecting if mounted on a tripod. Forgive me if I don't believe that right now. I could only imagine that working if the body used an accelerometer and detected no motion. But I am more sure that switching off stabilization on the lens also turns off in body stabilization as I do remember reading that in my Z5 manual.

Last edited:

blackstar

Thanks for making things clear, BF. I re-check with confirmation that turning off OS on the sigma lens also turns off VR in z6ii. Also on a tripod, z6ii with sigma lens OS on does not switch body VR off. However, this check-up is done using an old video tripod which secures the camera system with a four-side clamp (not an Arca-Swiss quick-release type of tripod, not sure if this matters).

Bikerbrent

I have a Sigma 150-600C that I use on my D7200 and I love it. I am very sure you will be very happy with it once you get the Z6ii settled out!

BF Hammer

Thanks for making things clear, BF. I re-check with confirmation that turning off OS on the sigma lens also turns off VR in z6ii. Also on a tripod, z6ii with sigma lens OS on does not switch body VR off. However, this check-up is done using an old video tripod which secures the camera system with a four-side clamp (not an Arca-Swiss quick-release type of tripod, not sure if this matters).

Tripod mounting won't make a difference, there is no sensor on the camera that tells when it is mounted on a tripod. If you consider it as a technical exercise, it would have to be implemented in a way that all those lenses with their own tripod mount foot could also report it is fixed to a tripod. It would take some kind of laser-sensor or really sensitive accelerometer and some sophisticated detection sub-routine.