Shutter Speed for the D750

J-see

I personally don't find it that much of an issue. Only when going 100% crop it shows but I rarely crop the D750 that much and if, I use a sharpening method in RT that works around that problem.

Horoscope Fish

Did not mean to upset you. I was merely trying to relate in a light hearted way, that I didn't think that having an OLPF on the D750 would be causing soft shots such as Don was describing. I have no doubt that with the filter removed, the D750 is an even more awesome camera then it is with it.
No offense taken, I was still on my first cup of coffee and a little cranky when I typed that.

I have to agree with the D750 being softer because of its filter. I clearly notice the difference between my D750 and D810/D7200 when it comes to sharpness. It having the biggest sensor pixels isn't helping either.

I'm not sure if the D7100 has an OLPF but if not, the problem might partly be situated there.
Someone should check to make sure, but I'm 99% certain neither the D7100 nor the D7200 have an AA/OLPF.

And just to reiterate, I was able to get clean, sharp shots out of my D750 but not regularly; it was baffling, really... I was keeping my shutter speed up, really watching my technique, using quiet shutter mode, etc. but it just didn't seem like I was getting the sharpness I thought I should be with anything resembling regularity. In short, my shots lookrd an awful lot like the ones in this thread to and to my eye, these shots look soft. It wasn't until after I removed the filter that I saw my D750 shine like I thought it ought to be. That's just my assessment of course, my camera and my expectations; all very subjective stuff. Hopefully Don can find a solution that works for him that doesn't require "surgery".

For instance... I'm curious how shots taken with, say, a Nikon 85mm f/1.8G, stopped down to f/4 or so would look, assuming a low ISO, proper shutter speed, etc.

This goes past the filter issue. I actually think it is a slow shutter speed issue. Will check that out today at some point with some stationary object and tripod vs hand held. Also at three different shutter speeds. 300mm @ 1/300. @ 1/450 and @ 1/600 all handheld and that should answer my questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

I'm lost here... What is "minimum = NORMAL"... All my cameras have either an Auto setting, or you select a minimum speed...
On some camera bodies when you click right one time on the "Minimum Shutter Speed" menu item, it takes you to a "slider" where you can adjust the minimum shutter speed from a setting of "Normal" (middle of the slider) towards "Faster" or "Slower".

I see that... curious... How does that translate to "speed" ????

Yes. At the middle of the slider (Normal) it sets the minimum shutter speed at the reciprocal of the length of the lens 300mm @ 1/300sec or the closest setting it can. A quick check last night on the D750 the 1 above normal set it to 1.5 times 300mm @1/450 sec and the high setting set it at twice the lens length. All these are close as far as I can remember.

on my D7100 the setting are automatically adjusted to reflect the effected lens length.

Over all it is a very nice system. I use it when I am just walking around and it keeps me from accidentally shooting at to low a shutter speed. It works in all modes I think, would have to check on the M mode. I always turn it off when shooting M since I normally need something particular when shooting that mode. Also if you need a particular ISO you can set the ISO and MAx ISO at the same thing and still get the benefit of the minimum shutter speed

Fred Kingston

Well... that's where I'm confused... In "M" mode, the speed and aperture aren't going to move...the only think that moves is the ISO... within the constraints of the upper ISO setting... the speed does nothing in "M" mode... I almost never shoot in anything other than "M" mode... so I'll now have to play with it in a different mode...

OK I did a little testing. First I shot the target full frame on program using a tripod and the standard auto ISO and minimum shutter speed at average

here is the target. will split the other part of the test into three post to keep it easier to figure out.

NIKON D750 - 70.0-300.0 mm f-4.5-5.6 - 1-350 sec at f - 5.6 -  - _.jpg

This section i cropped the photos just to show the target only and should be close to the same on all shots

These were all at the avg shutter speed. 1/350 all details are on each photo

NIKON D750 - 70.0-300.0 mm f-4.5-5.6 - 1-350 sec at f - 5.6 -  - _-2.jpgNIKON D750 - 70.0-300.0 mm f-4.5-5.6 - 1-350 sec at f - 5.6 -  - _-3.jpgNIKON D750 - 70.0-300.0 mm f-4.5-5.6 - 1-350 sec at f - 5.6 -  - _-4.jpg

I think the answer is the I need to go up to the first setting over avg and turn on the VR. This will be a first for me using VR. But it think the results look good for this lens at this distance on a chart that shows a lot of detail.

Did I answer all questions? Change anyone's mind? Leave anything out?

Now to go try this with my 24-120.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok, Here is an example. Only standard sharpening done when importing into LR. Basic adjustments done for lighting differences. The first shot is full frame and the second is a 100% section, I will also shot the focus point as it is shown in LR so you know exactly where I was focusing

D750 with 70-300 @300mm
ISO 125
f/5.6 at 1/350sec

View attachment 190876

Full frame

View attachment 190877

100% crop
View attachment 190878

Have you tried to look at the crop but below the middle? Is it possible that the focus was done in front of the deer? To my eyes, the grass looks sharper in front but it's difficult to see the pic not being at 100%.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I didn't know VR would work well with faster shutter speeds. I was always under the impression that it would make things worse unless used with slower speeds....:confused:

Geoffc

Try putting it on a tripod and use live view (more accurate and no AF fine tune required). Try something with more detail than a chart to look at. I use an imitation cat with fur on it for detail.

I use my 800 handheld with auto ISO shutter speed at about 2x fl. I find it pretty good like that and it should be worse than your 750. Obviously a tripod is better but not essential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Try putting it on a tripod and use live view (more accurate and no AF fine tune required). Try something with more detail than a chart to look at. I use an imitation cat with fur on it for detail.

I use my 800 handheld with auto ISO shutter speed at about 2x fl. I find it pretty good like that and it should be worse than your 750. Obviously a tripod is better but not essential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I did include a shot with tripod at all three shutter speeds and obviously it is the best option but not always practical or are wanted. I do use tripod for certain things. This entire exercises is transitioning from the D7100 DX to the D750 FX. I am finding that they are different animals and have different needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk