Should there be a class action suit against Nikon for the D600

Should there be a class action suit against Nikon over the D600

• Yes

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

Phillydog1958

I say bring on the lawsuit. Companies will not always do the right thing. Nikon didn't. Its' the principle. Companies have to be reminded that they can't just walk on consumers.

Last edited:

Rick M

As much as I love my D600, it is a bitter pill and Nikon has failed us. Mine is not that bad and diminishing over time, so I have not sent it in. I don't feel that they are really fixing them. They should have offered some kind of trade for the D610. My D600 has lost 50% of it's value in one year, that's my real gripe and Nikon doesn't give a dam. That said, I'm not jumping ship, but I will be very cautious with my next upgrade.

Phillydog1958

If a company's moral compass starts to point SOUTH, we must have checks and balances in place that will prevent errors in judgement. If I received a class-action settlement check for only $50, I could live with that. If we, as loyal Nikon customers, can't appeal to their corporate morality, I say, "Hit 'em in the bank account." Corporations understand one thing -- Money! Fifty buck times the number of people who bought a D600 might just be a significant hit to Nikon's balance sheet. If a class action was brought against Nikon, they would think twice about doing this again. And, it could happen again. Your next camera might have some defect and if Nikon doesn't pay for this error, what would make them do the right thing, next time?

Mark F

Fifty buck times the number of people who bought a D600 might just be a significant hit to Nikon's balance sheet.

50.00 for a 2000.00 camera? I don't think it would hit that hard. Now take the attorney fees... they probably get 1000.00 for every 50. that might hit them hard. Problem is, that corporations will not accept a negative balance sheet, so we as consumers will be hit hard from now on so that corporation can recoup the lawsuit.

Phillydog1958

50.00 for a 2000.00 camera? I don't think it would hit that hard. Now take the attorney fees... they probably get 1000.00 for every 50. that might hit them hard. Problem is, that corporations will not accept a negative balance sheet, so we as consumers will be hit hard from now on so that corporation can recoup the lawsuit.

I was just making an example for the sake of argument. I have no idea how many D600's have been sold in the US. My point is that they need to be held financially accountable and that a class action would be the best way to hold them accountable. Raise the payout to each claimant. I have no idea what the payout would be on such a case. I agree with your point: " . . . Corporations will not accept a negative balance sheet . . ." They can only pass on but so much of the expenses from a lawsuit, to the consumer, since they operate in a free market. Nikon would be foolish to price their products outside of what that free market dictates. If they dare to do such, Canon, Sony, Pentax and all of Nikon's competitors would love it and they would benefit.

Whiskeyman

My point is that they need to be held financially accountable and that a class action would be the best way to hold them accountable.

Don't believe that Nikon hasn't been hurt financially by the D600 shutter/sensor fouling issues. I bought a used D700 instead of the D600 after I heard of the issues, and I'm fairly confident that many others didn't purchase the D600 for similar reasons.

The questions are how hard do you want to hurt Nikon, and are you willing to hurt them enough to hurt current and future Nikon owners, as well? I'm sure that any payout will be passed on to you and me, along with all of the other purchasers of Nikon equipment in the future.

BackdoorArts

As much as I love my D600, it is a bitter pill and Nikon has failed us. Mine is not that bad and diminishing over time, so I have not sent it in. I don't feel that they are really fixing them.

This should be the strongest takeaway for anyone considering jumping on the D600. The appearance of the problem is a crap shoot (you may or may not get it), and sending it back to Nikon just rolls the dice again as the replacement shutters are no different than the originals, though the rate of recurrence may be reduced. Great camera with single unpredictable and unsolvable problem. I may say that I am thankful mine is fixed, but I will not be surprised if for some reason it recurs 1000 frames down the road.

Phillydog1958

This should be the strongest takeaway for anyone considering jumping on the D600. The appearance of the problem is a crap shoot (you may or may not get it), and sending it back to Nikon just rolls the dice again as the replacement shutters are no different than the originals, though the rate of recurrence may be reduced. Great camera with single unpredictable and unsolvable problem. I may say that I am thankful mine is fixed, but I will not be surprised if for some reason it recurs 1000 frames down the road.

I'm considering sending my camera in for repairs. I'm sure I will.

Phillydog1958

Don't believe that Nikon hasn't been hurt financially by the D600 shutter/sensor fouling issues. I bought a used D700 instead of the D600 after I heard of the issues, and I'm fairly confident that many others didn't purchase the D600 for similar reasons.

The questions are how hard do you want to hurt Nikon, and are you willing to hurt them enough to hurt current and future Nikon owners, as well? I'm sure that any payout will be passed on to you and me, along with all of the other purchasers of Nikon equipment in the future.

With all due respect, I don't want to HURT Nikon. I want them to be accountable. I don't want to bankrupt the organization. If D600 owners feel that they've been HURT, that takes precedence over all else. I can't base my decision to sue Nikon, on how it might impact the market. Plus, I'm looking out for myself and all other Nikon customers. I want to prevent anything like this from happening again. You're basically telling me to let it go, because a class action would negatively impact pricing within the market. This is all hypothetical, and I truly doubt that a class action suit will even develop. If It were to happen, it's up to Nikon to decide how they want to price their products. That decision would rest on the consciences of Nikon's upper management. Not mine, nor any other D600 owner who sued. A good company would take it on the chin and not attempt to pass along their punitive damages to their customers, but if Nikon were truly a morally-sound corporation, they would've done the right thing and we would not be discussing this, now. You can't look back on this and say, "Nikon prices are going up and it's all because of the D600 class action." I would look back on it and say, "Nikon paid out a class action penalty and now they're raising prices. Maybe I need to sell off my gear and seek out another manufacturer. I can get a similar model for a lower price. They're pricing themselves right out of the market."

Whiskeyman

With all due respect, I don't want to HURT Nikon. I want them to be accountable. I don't want to bankrupt the organization. If D600 owners feel that they've been HURT, that takes precedence over all else. I can't base my decision to sue Nikon, on how it might impact the market. Plus, I'm looking out for myself and all other Nikon customers. I want to prevent anything like this from happening again. You're basically telling me to let it go, because a class action would negatively impact pricing within the market. This is all hypothetical, and I truly doubt that a class action suit will even develop. If It were to happen, it's up to Nikon to decide how they want to price their products. That decision would rest on the consciences of Nikon's upper management. Not mine, nor any other D600 owner who sued. A good company would take it on the chin and not attempt to pass along their punitive damages to their customers, but if Nikon were truly a morally-sound corporation, they would've done the right thing and we would not be discussing this, now. You can't look back on this and say, "Nikon prices are going up and it's all because of the D600 class action." I would look back on it and say, "Nikon paid out a class action penalty and now they're raising prices. Maybe I need to sell off my gear and seek out another manufacturer. I can get a similar model for a lower price. They're pricing themselves right out of the market."

I'm not telling you to "let it go"; you can do as you wish within the law as far as I'm concerned.

You say you don't want to hurt Nikon, but to hold them accountable. How does any lawsuit or class-action do one without the other? Businesses have neither morals nor consciences, but bottom lines; and that is how they are best dealt with until their enterprise becomes either criminal or willfully negligent. As far as I'm concerned, Nikon whiffed on this one, but wasn't willfully negligent in the manufacture of the cameras. I'm even more confident that they aren't in the realm of conducting business in an unlawful manner.

If I had a camera that bothered me as much as your D600 seems to bother you, I'd ditch it, and send a letter to corporate (Nikon Japan, not Nikon USA) with a photo of me either buying or shopping for their competitor's gear. I understand that not everyone has the option of doing that, but most do have the option of withholding their business from Nikon. It may have no effect, but I'd get a laugh over doing it.

I wouldn't let it bother me so much that I brought legal action over it. But that's just me.:)

Phillydog1958

I'm not telling you to "let it go"; you can do as you wish within the law as far as I'm concerned.

You say you don't want to hurt Nikon, but to hold them accountable. How does any lawsuit or class-action do one without the other? Businesses have neither morals nor consciences, but bottom lines; and that is how they are best dealt with until their enterprise becomes either criminal or willfully negligent. As far as I'm concerned, Nikon whiffed on this one, but wasn't willfully negligent in the manufacture of the cameras. I'm even more confident that they aren't in the realm of conducting business in an unlawful manner.

If I had a camera that bothered me as much as your D600 seems to bother you, I'd ditch it, and send a letter to corporate (Nikon Japan, not Nikon USA) with a photo of me either buying or shopping for their competitor's gear. I understand that not everyone has the option of doing that, but most do have the option of withholding their business from Nikon. It may have no effect, but I'd get a laugh over doing it.

I wouldn't let it bother me so much that I brought legal action over it. But that's just me.:)

What kind of whiskey are you drinking, Whiskeyman? Let it go. This horse is dead. :D I'm out . . .

Lawrence

In the end any successful law suit is paid out by insurers and re-assurers under the company policy. The lawyers love these cases because they know the Insurance company will fight it and they (the lawyers) just rub their hands together in anticipation. There are no losers among the lawyers.

nmccamy

Class Action Lawsuit Against Nikon

I'm new to this forum, and new to the Nikon world as well. I don't own the D600 camera, but have read extensively about the dust\oil issue. I'm appalled at how Nikon handled this situation! And from my observations, I believe a class action suit is appropriate. But it must be done right, and include a ton of supporting evidence.

From my own personal research, it is my opinion that there is no evidence of an oil problem from any reputable source that I have read. I have seen many articles that speculate that it must be oil that accumulates on the sensor, and this causes the impending dust accumulation. But this is speculation, not fact. And Nikon admittedly denies the accusation that there is an oil problem. They have never admitted that there wasn't a dust problem.

The fact that there is a dust problem, though, has a lot of supporting evidence. A lawsuit should only address a dust issue and not an oil issue.

Camera rental companies like BorrowLens and LensRentals have kept a very keen eye on this issue. They've even conducted experiments with the D610 using many cameras, confirming that the dust issue is now history. They are acutely aware of the D600 dust issues and have maintained detailed records of their findings. These are the kind of findings that a judge should see.

The rental companies have not seen any evidence of oil on the sensors. My guess is that many have speculated that it must be oil causing the problem, and the claims got out of hand.

There certainly is, at a minimum, a dust problem with the D600 that has affected a significant number of cameras. And there is evidence to back it up. D600 owners should be remunerated. And the only way that's going to happen is by actively pursuing a class action lawsuit.

VectorZ

Re: Class Action Lawsuit Against Nikon

The problem with class action suits is that they take years and years to wind their way through the court system. Further by the time there is a settlement (if there is one) the lawyers take a huge portion of the judgment leaving the class with very little to show for it.
I think Nikon is feeling a huge pinch in sales because of the negative publicity, they are also eating a lot of money in repairs and returns. Basically you reap what you sow.

john*thomas

Yes, what will happen with a class action is that the lawyers will do very well and you will get a coupon for $50 off your next Nikon camera purchase. Continued negative publicity is the way to go.

Dave_W

The Dude

Winning a suit against a company that gives their product a full 1 yr unlimited warranty and is willing to "fix" any problems associated with that product is going to be a long shot, at best.

crashton

They Lawyer gets the money & you get 10 cents for your trouble. Seems like a good deal for the Lawyer. Gotta love this lawsuit nation we live in. :rolleyes: Just my 10 cents worth of opinion.