Should I replace my newly traded-for D800 for a different model?

aroy

I would suggest that you start shooting a lot of birds in flight to get your technique perfected. Once you can get them crisp, then you may think of an upgrade.

Another thing to practice is dawn/dusk shots of birds and animals. Get to know both your camera and the usable ISO as well as the exposures. That will help you nail the shots in odd light.

J-see

Birds in flight are perfect to practice indeed. I regularly go to the canal here to shoot gulls.

When I shot burst with the D3300 my buffer was in constant overload and more often than not I had to wait on the data transfer. When shooting the D750 I have a second card grabbing that overload increasing my continuous. Of the close to 4k shots I took with it, I don't think 2 have been on that second card.

It's not because the D750's buffer is so amazing compared to the D3300. It's because by now I learned when it no longer pays to push the button. In the beginning you suffer tunnel vision and don't notice in many of those continuous shots the subject got too far out of reach and even when cropping it to death, there's little left. Or you're shooting animal butts. You have a whole lot of action shots and it is a whole lot of data costing a whole lot of time to upload and check. And a whole lot ends up in the trash bin.

The moment you are aware that what you see will either be a little dark spot in a whole lot of shot or clearly visible and filling the empty space enough, your buffer increases exponentially.

merlin7734

Another good point. My plan is to practice at the zoo, pond behind my house, and on cars going on/getting off the highway for the moving stuff. Learning when it's best to click/not click is one of the biggest reasons I want to spend the next year learning since the decision making is the most important aspect to results in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Devkit (A1723)

Bunsen Honeydew

I see nothing wrong with the body you have, I think you would be better off putting money into really good glass. That's where you will see the difference

hrstrat57

D700 with grip is killer....AF is bang on set to Continuous for tracking fast cats and other animals even at 8 FPS with AA batteries..... put a 300 AF-S F/4 on board and boom!

That said I would keep what you have if you have a good copy and grip it and rip it!

(unless you can find a D700 like I did with under 200 clicks, then I would cash out and put the dough towards glass)

Really hard to go wrong with current Nikon pro and semi pro offerings! Practice practice tho before you need to shoot big game for real!

merlin7734

Thanks! As to long range glass, I've got 70-200 vrii and 2.0 tc. Now it's just upgrading what's on this side of the viewfinder

Sent from my iPhone 6 Devkit (A1723)