shooting through glass..

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I picked up one of these (a Lenskirt) when I was traveling a lot.
Sits flat in a suitcase and works equally well in any light and gives you a some amount of left/right/up/down motion without introducing reflections. Works well when the glass, in and of itself, doesn't have noise and reflection inducing properties (i.e. multiple panes, reflective coatings).

Thank you. What about taking pictures with rubber hood? Is it only for straigh out the window or I can take it under a little angle? For bigger angles maybe will be better skirt on previous page.

I haven't used either one. According to what Jake wrote about the Lenskirt, it sounds as though you should be able to angle the camera a little providing the glass isn't a double-pane glass. Jake might be able to offer you more info on the Lenskirt.

But I don't know about a rubber hood either. What Jake mentioned about double-pane glass or reflective coatings might also apply to a rubber lens hood no matter whether or not the camera is slightly at an angle to the glass.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you. For now I know everything. Now I just need to test which one will be better for my usage.

You're welcome, darksideno1. Just know that no CP filter will give 100% perfect results every time. For example, when I photograph cars, they are highly reflective. Most times a CP filter does an amazing job to drastically cut down reflections, but it won't always remove absolutely every sign of a reflection. Sometimes it works well with no signs of reflections. The best thing is to pay attention to detail within your viewfinder. If you see a reflection there, it will show up in your image.

Good luck with whichever one you choose! :encouragement:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
By the way, here is one of my car photos that was hilarious. I rotated the CP filter, and much to my surprise, the windows suddenly became multicolored. I showed the image to the owners. They said this is a genuine racing car, and the windows are made out of something more like Plexiglas. Part of it has to do with being able to remove the windows quickly in the event of a crash.

Looking at the car just with my eyes, the colors weren't visible at all.

297628d1539189902-post-your-automotive-shots-_dsc7455-low-res.jpg

darksideno1

I always took pictures with viewfinder and try to step aside, more forwards-backwards if needed. Sometimes reflection make picture better, but on example which I posted previously is reflection too bad and can't see.

Now I remember - is it maybe because of lens protector on it? I have this one since when I get my new lenses for avoid scratches and dust. I need test this and remove when I will be in museum or anywhere like this

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I always took pictures with viewfinder and try to step aside, more forwards-backwards if needed. Sometimes reflection make picture better, but on example which I posted previously is reflection too bad and can't see.

Now I remember - is it maybe because of lens protector on it? I have this one since when I get my new lenses for avoid scratches and dust. I need test this and remove when I will be in museum or anywhere like this

I don't think that filter will do anything bad for that type of situation UNLESS there is direct light coming into the lens from the front. The more pieces of glass in front of the sensor when a light source is straight ahead, the more chances of getting lens flare. However, that doesn't appear to be an issue with the image you posted.