Sensor cleaning needed

blackstar

I think my z6ii hit the dirty sensor issue (see the image below, shot with z186 + TC1.4, FL = 252mm).
2024-01-18_12-45-49(2)s.jpg

First I use Zeiss Lens swipes to clean both z186 and TC1.4 with no effect: can still see the left mid-upper dot in EVF. Then I activate the built-in sensor cleaning twice but still see the dot which seems to become smaller and moves up a bit though. It looks like the manual cleaning on the sensor is calling. Did anyone use lens swipe for the job? I deem a blower is little use but cleaning swab/sensor cleaner may be due for the work. Any advice, tips, or suggestions?

Silversnapper

There is a plethora of videos/information on sensor cleaning on the 'net but if you don't feel confident enough to tackle the issue yourself - and the danger is that you could ruin the sensor or do other damage - then I would have it done professionally by a company that offers a guarantee on their work. In the meantime, the software Clone tool / Spot Healing tool or their equivalent is your friend.

Fred Kingston

I would try the blower first... If you got a "wet" glob of something while changing the lens... not unusual, the blower might not be sufficient. Then it's wet cleaning time... They sell "Full frame and Crop" sensor swabs specifically for cleaning sensors on Amazon... they're sterile single-use swabs... and "Eclipse" optic cleaning fluid. One drop on the swab and one swipe with the swab is usually all you need... It isn't rocket science... there's a procedure... as mentioned, there are numerous tutorials online. I'd never pay someone to clean mine... Once you do it yourself and see how easy it is, you probably won't either. Just don't do it in a crowd of people... Set aside 10-15 minutes of quiet time with your stuff laid out on a clean surface area, and go slow when no one or anything will interrupt you...

TwistedThrottle

Yup, I always start with the rocket blower with the sensor facing the ground. I use a swab after all other cleaning techniques have been used to minimize damage by dragging anything across the sensor. It feels intimidating to clean your sensor for the first time but It’s really not and has become just another step in maintenance. Just put one drop on one swab and swipe the sensor one time with minimal, even pressure. Most cleanings take once for me but you might have to repeat the process with a new swab if it’s still not clean after the first one. Watch a couple vids, take your time and don’t reuse swabs.

Clovishound

I got something that was likely oily on my sensor soon after getting my Z5. I was afraid I had ruined my camera. I was extremely nervous cleaning it. It took several swabs to completely remove whatever it was. I've had to clean it several times since. Those only took one quick swab. I try and be very careful when swapping lenses. One of the downsides of mirrorless cameras is the sensor is rather exposed with the lens/body cap off. Some of the newer mirrorless cameras have automatic sensor covers, or sensor coatings to protect it. I have never had to clean my DSLR sensor.

BF Hammer

I have used the wet swabs on DSLR sensors and my Z5. Yes, try to blow off with a rocket blower first. Honestly, the Z bodies are very easy to clean by swab. You remove the lens and the sensor is right there and close to the opening. No inspection light needed.

It also helps to turn on the auto sensor cleaning with the power on/off feature. And a true story about my first Z5 cleaning: I spent over 5 minutes looking for the menu item to raise the mirror for cleaning. I was so accustomed to cleaning my DSLR sensors I was not even thinking that through. :D

blackstar

Received the cleaning swabs and used it with success. However, it looks like the width of the swab (for full frame) is a little smaller than the width of the sensor (z6ii). Is that a concern? But thank you guys!
Before:
KFW_7809.JPG

After
KFW_7817.JPG

Clovishound

I find that using a small flashlight to shine obliquely on the sensor makes seeing dust easy. It also makes ensuring that you actually got it all a piece of cake. Saves you from having to mount the lens back up and take a picture of a blank wall. Also helpful to make sure it's clean prior to an important shoot.

blackstar

...make sure it's clean prior to an important shoot.
I am not sure my sensor is clean if I am not sure my aided vision is clear enough to see dust particles/smears even under a flashlight... Sorry (for me), I need to see it clean in an image shot before the field run.

Needa

Challenge Team
I am not sure my sensor is clean if I am not sure my aided vision is clear enough to see dust particles/smears even under a flashlight... Sorry (for me), I need to see it clean in an image shot before the field run.
Your test shots look good. They make various magnifying loupes to aid in sensor inspection. I just check after against blue sky if I can find any. I believe all the swabs are a bit smaller than the sensor the one for my D7100 are, haven't ordered for the D810 yet.

blackstar

Your test shots look good. They make various magnifying loupes to aid in sensor inspection. I just check after against blue sky if I can find any. I believe all the swabs are a bit smaller than the sensor the one for my D7100 are, haven't ordered for the D810 yet.
D7100 has a crop sensor, and D810 full sensor. Let's know if also smaller when you get swaps for the full sensor. Thanks

Clovishound

That looks clean enough as anything smaller that you can't see without a loupe is unlikely to show up on any picture.
I had to clean mine yesterday. I was surprised to see a bunch of small motes, and one fair sized one. The rocket took care of most of it, but there were two that just wouldn't dislodge. I only saw the one large mote on the image.