Semi retired

Knollywood

Hello all, I've been in photography all my adult life, but had to close the 100 year old business when Covid hit. I've held on to a few jobs, but haven't stayed in the loop equipment wise. I have one great client who has stayed with me, but I need to upgrade from my older Nikon D300. What forum could give some advice to an old timer needing advice on options? The 18-105 is not producing the sharpness on the large groups I'm shooting. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20231217_173405.jpg
    IMG_20231217_173405.jpg
    887.2 KB · Views: 23

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard Knollwood, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Fred Kingston

Welcome to the forum... Your lens isn't really your problem... The problem is the D300... It's a 12.3 Megapixel sensor released in 2007... Technologically, even though it was considered a semipro camera in 2007, it's now the equivalent of entering a horse in the Daytona 500 race... Entry level cameras are now at 20MB resolution and semi-pro and pro cameras are in the 40+ MD range... All the lens formulas have also been improved...

Your options are... Buy a new current body and continue to use that lens. Or better yet, buy a new kit (body and lens) that covers that focal range... You can buy "new" or you can buy "Reconditioned" Nikon frequently has "reconditioned" kits on sale...

Here's a link to a current entry level camera that will out-perform your D300, and your existing lens will work in addition to the one included.

Last edited:

Needa

Challenge Team
Welcome!
Just go ahead and ask your questions here.
Are you looking at any specific model to replace your D300. The new Z camera offerings seem like a good place to start. Budget?

Knollywood

Welcome!
Just go ahead and ask your questions here.
Are you looking at any specific model to replace your D300. The new Z camera offerings seem like a good place to start. Budget?
Thank s, good to be here. I'm not shooting loads of jobs now, so ideally under or around 1,000. S Any kind of Nikon is what I use. Possible?

Knollywood

Welcome to the forum... Your lens isn't really your problem... The problem is the D300... It's a 12.3 Megapixel sensor released in 2007... Technologically, even though it was considered a semipro camera in 2007, it's now the equivalent of entering a horse in the Daytona 500 race... Entry level cameras are now at 20MB resolution and semi-pro and pro cameras are in the 40+ MD range... All the lens formulas have also been improved...

Your options are... Buy a new current body and continue to use that lens. Or better yet, buy a new kit (body and lens) that covers that focal range... You can buy "new" or you can buy "Reconditioned" Nikon frequently has "reconditioned" kits on sale...

Here's a link to a current entry level camera that will out-perform your D300, and your existing lens will work in addition to the one included.
Thank you Fred, good info.

Needa

Challenge Team
Thank s, good to be here. I'm not shooting loads of jobs now, so ideally under or around 1,000. S Any kind of Nikon is what I use. Possible?
Don't envy you looking for a replacement camera for the d300. What features wanted and how you prefer to shoot will determine which models to consider. The D7500 is another camera which might fit your usage and still can be purchased new at about $900. Anyplace near that you can put hands on? If not type in to a search engine d300 vs (what ever) to get a general idea of feature comparison. Good luck.

Clovishound

Something else to consider. You are used to a prosumer camera. It sounds like you are going to be making money with your photography. It also sounds like you don't have much in the way of older DX lenses.

Assuming that, I would suggest you look at a mirrorless camera in the prosumer line. You will have to stretch a bit beyond your stated budget, but I think you may be happier, and less expensive in the long run. Right now the Nikon Z5 is on sale for $1000. For an extra $414- $434, you can get a like new or excellent condition Z 24-70 F4 S-line (professional line) lens.

The Z5 is a full frame sensor 24 megapixel sensor camera. It has dual SD card slots for backup memory on important shoots. The electronic viewfinder makes identifying highlight clipping easy. Both the camera and the S-line lenses are weather sealed to protect against moisture and dust. While the Z 24-70 F4 is not quite the lens that the Z24-70 F2.8 is, a good used 2.8 will run you close to $2000. The F4 is a very good lens, robust and extremely sharp, with fast, quiet AF.

Nikon, and, I believe, all the other camera manufacturers are making the transition to mirrorless and away from DSLR cameras. Nikon has already announced they will no longer release any new models in the DSLR line. They continue to manufacture DSLR cameras and lenses, but have ceased R&D on them. I expect current models to be gradually dropped from their manufacturing line as time goes on.

There are many advantages to the mirrorless cameras, and now might be a good time for you to make the switch. FYI, if you have some full frame Nikon lenses, they can be used with the Z5 using an FTZ adapter.

Clovishound

Just to add, if you want to get into mirrorless, but money is really tight, Nikon currently has the Z50 with a 16-50 F4 lens on sale for $900. It is a crop frame sensor with 21 megapixel resolution and 11 fps shutter.

I have experience with the entry level crop frame DSLR (D3400 and D5600), and full frame mirrorless (Z5). IMO I would go with the Z50 or Zfc over a crop frame DSLR.

Last edited:

Dawg Pics

Don't envy you looking for a replacement camera for the d300. What features wanted and how you prefer to shoot will determine which models to consider. The D7500 is another camera which might fit your usage and still can be purchased new at about $900. Anyplace near that you can put hands on? If not type in to a search engine d300 vs (what ever) to get a general idea of feature comparison. Good luck.
I upgraded from a D300 to a D500. I think it is the only recent upgrade in that line other than maybe the D7500.

Knollywood

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'm trying to research my options.

I thought I'd lost a picture of the original studio my grandfather took, circa 1920. To my delight, I recently found it in some old files. I still have the lens!
studio1920.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Knollywood

I am just needing a camera that I can use with my lenses that will produce a tack sharp large group photo.

TwistedThrottle

I am just needing a camera that I can use with my lenses that will produce a tack sharp large group photo.
I dont see where you've listed any of your lenses other than the 18-105. Have you played around with THIS dxomark site? There, you can select what lens on what body. Using the same lens on a D500 or D7500 (D7500 not listed but both use the same sensor & no AA filter) shows a raise in sharpness and overall performance. Even if you go with a D3400 will give better results. I dont know if their numbers tell you if the lens will produce tack sharp large group photos, but it does show an improvement over the D300. All Nikon DSLR cameras and F mount lenses have been passed up by the latest offerings from Nikon mirrorless cameras and lenses. That's not saying sharp images cant be obtained from F mount lenses on DSLR's, but the newer DSLR's and faster lenses will produce better images than older sensors and entry level lenses. Better yet, mirrorless. Z5/24-70f4, (buying used will save you hundreds) would be my suggestion around that price.