Sell or keep?

blackstar

Hi,

First, if here is not the right place to post the question, please move to the right place. Currently, I am looking to add a new z lens (20mm f1.8S) to my z6ii for nightscape and general scene photography. After reviewing my old system (D3500), I feel that selling or trading old gear could make good sense for my photo activity because I found they were seldom used (except for some tests on sigma 150-600mm and nightscape use of the Rokinon fisheye lens which always yield shots I don't favor even with z6ii) after acquiring new z system. So I am now pondering if I would sell/trade in both D3500 with two kit lenses and the Rokinon fisheye lens for halving the cost of the new z lens. I was surprised by B&H site showing they would buy my D3500 bundle for $340 which is close to my buying price 3 years ago @$400. Then I realize they now sell the new bundle at @$750! (their trade-in price =< 1/2 of new price) If I do this trade-in, I can think how wonderful I have been using the camera/lenses for 3 years for just $60! On the other hand, I am also reviewing the old images shot with my D3500. Sure I may miss and regret that if I sell my entry D3500. (Something I found very special among our members: it seems like very few or none had sold their old camera after upgrading and upgrading... )

Now I would appreciate your take, thoughts, and advice that may help my decision.

Bikerbrent

If you get rid of the D3500, will you have another camera to use if the z6ii requires some work? Always hope the new camera won't need any work, but it is something to consider. Also, I hope you are keeping the Sigma 150-600, it is a real winner.

Last edited:

blackstar

Thanks, Brent, for your reminder. Maybe I need a spare for my z6ii, but then D3500 is not exactly a spare. It can't replace z6ii. I hope and pray that my z6ii won't need any major work for a while as that's the case with my 3-year-old D3500:) And no, I won't sell my Sigma for at least a while cause it's in my lens lineup unless I can afford z800S ($6500) or z600S ($16000). The last z lens in my lineup probably will be a z Micro.

Fred Kingston

Because as Nikon and the retailers push Mirrorless hardware, the price of used non-mirrorless will decrease...used entry level gear will decrease faster than prosumer and pro gear... new low-end entry level gear will churn faster than pro gear...new or used... As Nikon increases lower end production, they'll stop supporting their lower end previous models, further accelerating price decreases on out of production consumer products...

BF Hammer

I do also think the price of used gear is a little inflated right now and if you are going to sell, right now is a good time. You only will lose out when the prices offered start to drop again.

That said, I personally like to keep 2 bodies on hand. I have done this for 12 years now, I will keep the most current body as I buy a new one. Older gets traded/sold. That means for a while I had both FX and DX systems, and now I have both Z and F-mount (FX sensor) bodies. I find that 2nd body comes in handy if you are having technical difficulty with the body/lens you planned to use. Or you may want 2 lens options, having the 2nd body means instant change.

Now as for the 20mm f/1.8, I personally barely use my Sigma 20mm f/1.4 lens. It works for Milky Way photos. I took some nice photos of comet Neowise with it in 2020. But I rarely use it for any other work. I used it last week for some night landscapes of Orion rising over a lake, and I am a bit disappointed with what I got. I really want to replace that Sigma with a Z 14-24mm f/2.8 zoom. I already have a F-mount Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 that I just love to death. I have been using that with the FTZ adapter for day and night scenes a lot for the past year. The 20mm prime is just something of an odd focal length for me. I feel like the zoom will serve me more.

Needa

Challenge Team
If you don't use it move it on down the road. When I upgraded from the D5100 to the D7100 found it was never used. No regrets not having it.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I always want a backup body, and think that for the money you'll get selling the D3500 you would be better off just keeping it. Of course, any Z lenses you acquire will not work on the D3500, so that is an additional consideration. So, in summary, I dunno'. :) :) :)

blackstar

The verdict is odd: sell x3, keep x3, and 1 neutral. So I have to give my own vote: sell. Thank everyone. I made the trade-in and ordered the new z lens today! Now shipping the trade-in items was a big hassle needing a big packing box and packing material (though I have both original product boxes)... and the new lens will come on Thursday. Exciting!

Bikerbrent

The verdict is odd: sell x3, keep x3, and 1 neutral. So I have to give my own vote: sell. Thank everyone. I made the trade-in and ordered the new z lens today! Now shipping the trade-in items was a big hassle needing a big packing box and packing material (though I have both original product boxes)... and the new lens will come on Thursday. Exciting!
So blackstar, what new z lens are you buying?

Danno

I think you made the right choice to sell. I got rid of my DSLRs because they were just sitting, and that’s not good for anything. hope you enjoy the new lens.

blackstar

Thanks, Dan. I already got my new z 20mm f1.8 S and did some little tests. Now we are experiencing some great downpours here in northern CA for the past week and into the next weeks! Neighbors were victimized by big tree fall on their roofs and cars... Really had no chance for more practice with the new lens :( But did find some good surprise: this lens is equipped with two focusing motors, i.e., AF is super fast! far scene or close-up, low f or high f. My first z 24-120mm S can't compete with this wonder! AW, I do plan to enjoy the new lens. Hope you do too in the new year.