Seeking info on the 3Pod tripod by Adorama

Sharin

I've read some good things about this light weight carbon-fiber tripod, but I haven't read any rave reviews touting its features.

My understanding is that it is made exclusively by Adorama 3Pod P5CRH 5-Section 8X Carbon Fiber Compact Reversable Tripod with K3 BallHead P5CRH and it's a low-cost alternative to other carbon-fiber options on the market.

It has several features I'm looking for:
- light-weight (4 lbs)
- folds nearly flat
- good price point (about $125)
- good for traveling

My current tripod (with head) is about 10 lbs. Add that to a bag of gear and it gets too heavy for me before I'd like to call it quits for the day. I'd like shave off some weight, if I can.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with it?

Never even heard of it but I am wondering about this:

Holding up to 22lbs, but weighing in at an impossibly light 2.6lbs

I don't think I would want to trust my camera on something this light weight.

Horoscope Fish

My thing with tripods is that I have to wonder at what point "light weight" begins to work against me... I mean, the whole point of a tripod is rock-solid stability, right? I guess I have trouble seeing *any* three-pound tripod instilling unshakable (ha!) confidence in my soul. Granted, I'm no expert, nor have I ever played on TV, but when it comes to my tripods I look for solidity of build and ease of operation. When it comes to weight I just flat out suck it up. Tripods are a PITA to haul around, they just are... But if I'm going to take the effort to haul the thing around when I pull it out and expect it to provide a solid platform for me to shoot from, it damn well better do exactly that. I'm not saying a three-pound tripod can't do that, but again... I have to wonder.

Last edited:

Mike150

I was going to try this but after 57 seconds to solve the first one, I decided to go back to work.
Maybe later this evening.

Sorry got my threads mixed up... Please ignore me.

Last edited:

Sharin

My thing with tripods is that I have to wonder at what point "light weight" begins to work against me... I mean, the whole point of a tripod is rock-solid stability, right?
Right. That's why I'm seeking info from anyone with experience. I was wondering if this newly released tripod can do things that flimsy tripods cannot, yet still be light-weight.

My light-weight tripod has only one feature... it's light-weight. My sturdy tripod feels like I'm toting a bolder at the end of the day. Sounds like I'm going to have to wait for all the reviews to come in on this one. Either that, or save my dollars for a better model.

weebee

I read on one site that the aluminum one weighs twice what the carbon fiber does.

You're looking at 4.5 pounds. Not much at all for a tripod made this strong. I'm not sold on the 2.0 lb Carbon fiber ones, yet. I dont want to risk my equipment. Plus, if I'm going to go hiking more then a couple miles then I'd take a mono-pod. I like the mono-pod for that purpose as well as using it as a hiking stick.

Sharin

You're looking at 4.5 pounds. Not much at all for a tripod made this strong. I'm not sold on the 2.0 lb Carbon fiber ones, yet. I dont want to risk my equipment.
My understanding about carbon-fiber tripods is that they're supposed to be super strong. ...as strong as the heavier counterparts. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I don't want to risk my equipment either which is why I upgraded from my light-weight pieceofjunk tripod. With that one the camera would suddenly flop down 90 degrees. Scared me every time it did that.

weebee

My understanding about carbon-fiber tripods is that they're supposed to be super strong. ...as strong as the heavier counterparts. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I don't want to risk my equipment either which is why I upgraded from my light-weight pieceofjunk tripod. With that one the camera would suddenly flop down 90 degrees. Scared me every time it did that.

I understand. I was looking at the 3Pod carbon fiber tripod too. But it was getting some comments in regards to how stable it is. I may just get a carbon fiber tripod minus the ball head and move mine to it. The light weight does sound appealing.

Sharin

Thanks for replying, Steve. Do me a favor, if you decide to get the 3Pod carbon-fiber, would you create a new post about it so I can check out your opinion of it.

I don't plan to go shooting in windy conditions because the sand here in the desert is dreadful on cameras, and I don't anticipate climbing any mountainous regions. I just need a good light weight tripod that I can set up securely on a somewhat uneven surface with my d90 and my heaviest lens, the 70-300G.

Thanks for all your opinions, guys and gal. ;-)

weebee

Thanks for replying, Steve. Do me a favor, if you decide to get the 3Pod carbon-fiber, would you create a new post about it so I can check out your opinion of it.

I don't plan to go shooting in windy conditions because the sand here in the desert is dreadful on cameras, and I don't anticipate climbing any mountainous regions. I just need a good light weight tripod that I can set up securely on a somewhat uneven surface with my d90 and my heaviest lens, the 70-300G.

Thanks for all your opinions, guys and gal. ;-)

Will do. If I do go with a carbon fiber set up I'll make sure it has a sand bag hook under it to secure it from the wind.