Seeking Advice: Gaming Desktops for Optimal Performance

steveanderson

Hey fellow Nikonites,

I hope you're all doing well! I've been a member of this community for a while now, mostly lurking and soaking up all the photography knowledge shared here. However, today I come to you with a slightly different inquiry.

I'm considering diving into the world of gaming, and I'm looking to invest in a removed link setup that can handle the demands of modern gaming titles. I've always been a bit of a tech enthusiast, but gaming rigs are a whole new territory for me.

I've been doing some research, but the sheer amount of options and configurations available is overwhelming. From GPUs to CPUs, RAM to storage, there's so much to consider. I want to ensure that whatever I invest in provides smooth gameplay, and high frame rates, and can handle graphics-intensive games without breaking a sweat.

So, I'm turning to this community for some guidance. Are there any seasoned gamers or tech enthusiasts here who can offer advice on what components are essential for a gaming desktop? Any specific brands or models you'd recommend? And importantly, any pitfalls or common mistakes to avoid when building or buying a gaming rig?

I'm eager to hear about your experiences and recommendations. Whether you're a casual gamer or a hardcore enthusiast, your insights would be incredibly valuable as I embark on this gaming journey.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Best regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

TwistedThrottle

Sounds like you want the best of the best, with honors, and luckily, all that takes is a bunch of money. I'm not a gamer but have a need for some of the same hardware for the tasks I use for work and home. You'll want a computer with a SSD boot drive to make it faster, I just use a .5gb but goes up to 4, I think. This is where you store your game you're actively playing so plan accordingly. Next, you'll want storage and this can be one or many internal or external storage or even online cloud storage. Skys the limit, but the more the better. I use 2 internal 2TB hard drives and a hand full of external hard drives. RAM is always undervalued. The more the better but I cant use a machine with less than 16gb, (thats the minimum for the programs I run). Max it out at 64 if you can. I've always used Nvidia graphics cards (GPU). The more money you spend on this, the better. It will control your games. The Nvidia 4070 is probably the one to get though. I've also always ran Intel i7 CPU but with the new i9, I have some comparisons to do on my own. I'd think that the i7 is probably sufficient for nearly all tasks I do, but the i9 will be more future proof. As stated, not a gamer but have heard the extra cores on the i9 vs. the i7 do nothing for games as most games, (if not all) use a single core to run. I'd think that even gamers would like to multitask from time to time, though. The last thing is the case you stuff all your expensive components into. Some really like all the blinky lights on the fans and clear panels to see all the components, I'm more into the ease of access, myself. I've had a Dell XPS for almost 20 years, (several machines but all XPS). I appreciate that I can mostly configure the way I want from Dell and then easily get inside to upgrade as needed. Plus, all my ports are on the front of the machine and not on top. I dont know why all the companies started offering ports on top, but thats a hard pass for me. Overclocking is beyond what I need a machine for and I dont know much about it, other than it should be liquid cooled and it blows your warranty. Good luck with your build. Let us know what you come up with.

Hey fellow Nikonites,

I hope you're all doing well! I've been a member of this community for a while now, mostly lurking and soaking up all the photography knowledge shared here. However, today I come to you with a slightly different inquiry.

I'm considering diving into the world of gaming, and I'm looking to invest in a removed link setup that can handle the demands of modern gaming titles. I've always been a bit of a tech enthusiast, but gaming rigs are a whole new territory for me.

I've been doing some research, but the sheer amount of options and configurations available is overwhelming. From GPUs to CPUs, RAM to storage, there's so much to consider. I want to ensure that whatever I invest in provides smooth gameplay, and high frame rates, and can handle graphics-intensive games without breaking a sweat.

So, I'm turning to this community for some guidance. Are there any seasoned gamers or tech enthusiasts here who can offer advice on what components are essential for a gaming desktop? Any specific brands or models you'd recommend? And importantly, any pitfalls or common mistakes to avoid when building or buying a gaming rig?

I'm eager to hear about your experiences and recommendations. Whether you're a casual gamer or a hardcore enthusiast, your insights would be incredibly valuable as I embark on this gaming journey.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Best regards,
Threadripper CPU. 64 core. Period

..... And definitely liquid cooling...