SD or XQD

Mis Adam

Hello Everyone, I know it's been many moons since I jumped on here. I really appreciate the great info on here I just wish I had read all of this sooner. Sadly I forked out the extra dough for an XQD card and it has given me nothing but issues. I have had two card readers, adjusted my computer and used new ports only to have the card load a 1/4 of the photos taken on the three occasions that I have had the chance to get out and shoot something. I used rescuepro I got with the the SDHC card I purchased (which I have never had any issues like this with any of my Sandisk SDHC cards) it will recover them just fine, but when I try to open the semi loaded photos it tells me it is unable to load that format. I tried to open them in different software so all I can say is HUH? It loaded 30 other photos in the exact format why can't it find the other 10? This XQD it's a weird breed and I am out 130.00 but I will continue to use the D500 cause it is a new love hate relationship, but I will only use the SD slot. I am so glad I haven't lost anything yet, as I have used the XQD and the SD for back up thank goodness. I have only had the card for two months. Talked to the someone at my local camera store and they said it was unusual for and XQD to be corrupt, but oh ghee lucky me I got the unusual one I think. At this point not really sure if I will fork out more for the CFex even if the firmware comes out anytime soon.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hello Everyone, I know it's been many moons since I jumped on here. I really appreciate the great info on here I just wish I had read all of this sooner. Sadly I forked out the extra dough for an XQD card and it has given me nothing but issues. I have had two card readers, adjusted my computer and used new ports only to have the card load a 1/4 of the photos taken on the three occasions that I have had the chance to get out and shoot something. I used rescuepro I got with the the SDHC card I purchased (which I have never had any issues like this with any of my Sandisk SDHC cards) it will recover them just fine, but when I try to open the semi loaded photos it tells me it is unable to load that format. I tried to open them in different software so all I can say is HUH? It loaded 30 other photos in the exact format why can't it find the other 10? This XQD it's a weird breed and I am out 130.00 but I will continue to use the D500 cause it is a new love hate relationship, but I will only use the SD slot. I am so glad I haven't lost anything yet, as I have used the XQD and the SD for back up thank goodness. I have only had the card for two months. Talked to the someone at my local camera store and they said it was unusual for and XQD to be corrupt, but oh ghee lucky me I got the unusual one I think. At this point not really sure if I will fork out more for the CFex even if the firmware comes out anytime soon.

What brand XQD card did you purchase? The Sony brand has a limited 5-year warranty. Check with the manufacturer to see if they can help you.

Needa

Challenge Team
I used rescuepro I got with the the SDHC card I purchased (which I have never had any issues like this with any of my Sandisk SDHC cards) it will recover them just fine, but when I try to open the semi loaded photos it tells me it is unable to load that format. I tried to open them in different software so all I can say is HUH? It loaded 30 other photos in the exact format why can't it find the other 10?

I have never had much luck with rescue software myself would indicate the file was recovered and would not open or a partial image. Sometime the giveaway software is to get you to buy a premium version.

This XQD it's a weird breed and I am out 130.00 but I will continue to use the D500 cause it is a new love hate relationship, but I will only use the SD slot. I am so glad I haven't lost anything yet, as I have used the XQD and the SD for back up thank goodness. I have only had the card for two months. Talked to the someone at my local camera store and they said it was unusual for and XQD to be corrupt, but oh ghee lucky me I got the unusual one I think. At this point not really sure if I will fork out more for the CFex even if the firmware comes out anytime soon.

Like hark said contact the card manufacturer. They should be able to give you instructions on how to do a wipe and format of the card. Then don't forget to format it in camera before use. To eliminate the card readers as a potential problem have you used another transfer method?

Mis Adam

Sony G series. I formatted in camera when purchased and have only formatted in camera. The very first time it happened I thought it was the card reader, the card reader company reached out and sent me a new card reader. The second upload with this card first with the second card reader it worked perfect but as I did the next upload the issue was back. However the third and fourth upload it did the same thing loads the majority and then the ones that do not show as a preview photo cannot be opened. I plan to contact the seller to see what they suggest and I May just have to go to Sony for a replacement if possible.

Mis Adam

After deciding not to get rid of the non-working card I decided I had better try something I have never had to do, a hard format. I put the card in the reader and told the computer to do a complete format. Once that was done stuck it back in the camera and did another format to the camera. Took the camera and went out in search of color. Loan behold the card actually worked and it loaded every photo for the first time since purchase. So I have only tried to use it once and plan to try and use it again very soon. I have never had to do a hard format before but in this case I am so glad it worked.

crycocyon

What card reader do you use? I only use the SONY XQD reader. I've used XQD for six years (transferring to a Mac) and never had issues. What are you uploading it to? PC? What software? Glad it's working but I suspect something more on the receiving side than the card itself.

Whiskeyman

After deciding not to get rid of the non-working card I decided I had better try something I have never had to do, a hard format. I put the card in the reader and told the computer to do a complete format. Once that was done stuck it back in the camera and did another format to the camera. Took the camera and went out in search of color. Loan behold the card actually worked and it loaded every photo for the first time since purchase. So I have only tried to use it once and plan to try and use it again very soon. I have never had to do a hard format before but in this case I am so glad it worked.

We'll have to put this technique into the tool kit.

WM

Horoscope Fish

Yup. Doing a full format in the computer is vastly different than "formatting" in camera. The in-camera "format" isn't formatting the card at all, it's a rewrite of the folders the camera uses to store data and nothing more; that's why it only takes a second to perform. The in-camera folders, though, use the card's underlying drive-format (specifically called FAT32). If the drive-format gets corrupted the only way to fix it (potentially) is by reformatting in the computer. This process takes a lot longer (probably 20-30 minutes on my computer) but that's because this process is formatting the card, not just the folder-tree that sits on it. Once you've formatted the card itself, you will of course need to "format" it again in the camera to re-establish the folder structure the camera uses to store your images. I do a drive-format on my cards about once a year as matter of maintenance.

If you have a card that's acting wonky formatting the card (and no, "Quick Format" for us Windows users is NOT the same thing) in the computer, followed by an in-camera "formatting", should be the first step in trying to straighten things out.

Last edited:

Danno

I am more than a little surprised about your issues with the XQD card. It is the first I have heard of, and I spend a lot of time of some viral Z camera pages. Seems that trolls spend a lot of time slamming the Z body Nikon bodies because they only have a single XQD card and the response is always that we have never had an issue or heard of an issue with XQD cards.

I would appreciate if you keep us informed of your experience with this card. Especially since the hard format seemed to work. Sorry for the hassles you have had with the XQD.

Mis Adam

What card reader do you use? I only use the SONY XQD reader. I've used XQD for six years (transferring to a Mac) and never had issues. What are you uploading it to? PC? What software? Glad it's working but I suspect something more on the receiving side than the card itself.

[h=1]XQD Card Reader, Rocketek USB3.0 XQD/SD Card Reader Dual Slot Memory Card Reader 5Gpbs Super Speed Compatible with Sony G/M Series, Lexar 2933x/1400x USB Mark XQD Card, SD/SDHC Card for Windows/Mac OS I thought that the one I had purchased was bad, the company reached out and sent me another one. I the replacement worked much better than the first one. the XQD worked 1 time with the new one and then didn't work right again. But so far after the hard format we are still good. I just havent had the time to shoot much I wish I could provide better information on my Sony card. Now that it is working I am happy with it.
[/h]

Mis Adam

When I was researching the card error, I talked with CSR's at our local photography store here in Utah, Pictureline, they are really great people and an awesome store. This is where I purchase the expensive items from and they were the ones that had mentioned if I did a hard format. They also advised it is extremely unusual to have a QXD with that type of issue. After they mentioned to try a hard format, I felt dumb and didn't know what they meant as I said I had never had to do this with a SDHC card. So I did what most of us do and found it on YouTube. I was worried it would make it worse. I used the Rescue pro that came with the Sandisk I got and it worked on the XQD so I though worse case I could use it again if needed. I am so glad that it all worked out so far since the hard format. The cards really are pricey and I was discouraged that I could not reach the potential of the D500 with just the SD. really wish I would have researched the D500 a bit better or waited for a bit to decide on the next path I want in camera equipment.
This is the card reader I purchased on Amazon. The replacement that was sent by the company has been better than the one purchased.
Screenshot 2020-09-27 104243.png

Horoscope Fish

When I was researching the card error, I talked with CSR's at our local photography store here in Utah, Pictureline, they are really great people and an awesome store. This is where I purchase the expensive items from and they were the ones that had mentioned if I did a hard format. They also advised it is extremely unusual to have a QXD with that type of issue. After they mentioned to try a hard format, I felt dumb and didn't know what they meant as I said I had never had to do this with a SDHC card. So I did what most of us do and found it on YouTube. I was worried it would make it worse. I used the Rescue pro that came with the Sandisk I got and it worked on the XQD so I though worse case I could use it again if needed. I am so glad that it all worked out so far since the hard format. The cards really are pricey and I was discouraged that I could not reach the potential of the D500 with just the SD. really wish I would have researched the D500 a bit better or waited for a bit to decide on the next path I want in camera equipment.
Since you say the card passed a proper formatting in your computer I'd be willing to bet you a Diet Dr. Pepper you'll have no further issues. And not having thought of formatting the card in your PC is certainly nothing to feel stupid about, I doubt very much that idea would have occurred to most people; especially since cards come from the factory pre-formatted.

Hope you can get on with enjoying your D500. :D