Rocky's Quadcopter "Stuff"

RockyNH_RIP

Been a bit since I have flown... we have had high winds, plenty of rain so yesterday was the first real good chance. I had an invite from a couple other Phantom pilots (one also flies a Standard) to be down to the Marsh Lands off Skidaway Island Savannah. It did not work out as we had errands early and then company... Here is his video... I want to get down there..

I did a little neighborhood fly around... and video... all manually flying (but in GPS Mode) (no course lock etc) including a manually landing on the front yard between 2 small trees. The video will be in the next post..

I also had a few still photos....

this one was taken before I started the video....

DJI_0025.jpg

these were extracted from the video....

022716-1.jpg

022716-2.jpg

022716-3.jpg

022716-4.jpg

022716-5.jpg

Pat in GA

RockyNH_RIP

I'm curious about something......have you done a comparison with a photo taken and one captured from the video?

Good Question John....

In the set above, the 1st was a direct capture... the others were extracted...

Viewing all in lightroom, no real discernible difference.... the resolution is higher in the direct image:

Direct ----------------------------------- 3992x2242

Extract from 1080 Processed -------- 1920x1080 (that is what the extractions above are)

Extraction from un-processed vid --- 2701x1520

John, have not done any real pixel peeping as that is not my style but I have been pleased with the images in all 3 resolutions for my purposes (scenic). I would not crop or blow up anymore than I would not crop or enlarge any further than you would any other 12 megpxl or 8 megpxl image.

No Real difference for normal purposes of scenic aerial stills..... Hope this helps a bit and thank you for reviewing and asking questions.

Pat in GA

john*thomas

Yeah, I was just curious out of curiosity sake.

I get a day off, it's not freezing but pretty windy. I still might give it a go and see what I get.

RockyNH_RIP

Yeah, I was just curious out of curiosity sake.

I get a day off, it's not freezing but pretty windy. I still might give it a go and see what I get.

Yes, I am still pretty hesitant in wind... I know the Phantom can handle 18 mph gusts but the chicken pilot gets too nervous! :)

Pat in GA

Ruidoso Bill

Got the Phantom 3 in today, everything is charging, did you go through the proper battery conditioning on yours?

Had to modify the hard case a tad but a dremmel with a sanding wheel cuts through the foam insert easy, needed to enlarge the holes where the motors recess into because I installed removable prop guards. I am going to start off a little slower this time, geesh this hobby can run into real money quick.

20160311_151352.jpg20160311_151417.jpg20160311_151612.jpg

I realize a lot of folks don't like the prop guards, they affect the flying a little but I'm just not too confident.

Last edited:

john*thomas

Prop guards are good starting off. I see where the Phantom 4 is due out.........a huge price increase also.....looks the same and I was told the avoidance technology is still pretty basic. I'll just do what I'm doing and stay away from trees and keep well under the battery limits.

Ruidoso Bill

Prop guards are good starting off. I see where the Phantom 4 is due out.........a huge price increase also.....looks the same and I was told the avoidance technology is still pretty basic. I'll just do what I'm doing and stay away from trees and keep well under the battery limits.

Maybe someday if I can justify the better video but for now the standard should fit my needs. I do plan to stay away from water, not a good memory for me.

RockyNH_RIP

Got the Phantom 3 in today, everything is charging, did you go through the proper battery conditioning on yours?

Had to modify the hard case a tad but a dremmel with a sanding wheel cuts through the foam insert easy, needed to enlarge the holes where the motors recess into because I installed removable prop guards. I am going to start off a little slower this time, geesh this hobby can run into real money quick.

I realize a lot of folks don't like the prop guards, they affect the flying a little but I'm just not too confident.

I do not have prop guards but considered them. I am OK now but not bad to start with. Glad you got it, take care of your batteries and start of slow... I did.

john*thomas

I have the Standard (2.7 k) and have been overall satisfied... I shoot 2.7 vid but it is 1080P after my processing. No complaints here... I have nothing that can view 4k at this time.

Pat in GA

We do have a 4K television....I just now figured out how to run the computer through it. LOL

The 4K video's are pretty amazing. Almost 3D. Not the 3D like you wear glasses for but it's very clear that a tree in the forground is actually in the forground.