RIP D3200, D5200 and D7000

gary135r

If you don't need the latest and greatest, there are great deals out there. It's kind of shame now that high quality cameras become yesterday's news so quickly. The film days had they're advantages

SD_2007

I am planning to buy a Nikon D7000 with 18-105 Kit lens in next week. If it is discontinue soon so is it the right time to getting it? What about the after sale service after discontinuation?

Gerb

Picked up my D7000 (body only) up last week from Amazon for $489. Figured now was the time before the new ones are gone. I'm using my D3100 lenes for now.

seaviews

Hi Robin
Don't be so coy! If you got a great deal, you should satisfy our curiosity.and tell us what you paid. On Amazon about 6 months ago they were selling D7000 bodies at about £690 and I managed to buy a brand new one on Ebay for £410 which I admit made me nervous about whether it really was new etc. But it came boxed and everything and is perfect. I see now Amazon are selling the D700 at £593 which by their standards is not bad.

I swear it didn't say on the box NKION Ha!

Bob Blaylock

R.I.P. Nikon D3200, D5200 and D7000 | Nikon Rumors

3 more cameras to add to the graveyard.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

Do they really continue to manufacture one model after the next model has come out to succeed it?

I would think it to make sense, for example, that when the D3300 came out, that they would immediately stop making D3200s, and that any of the now-obsolete model that are still offered for sale would be out of existing sticks of that model that were made before the new model went into production.

gary135r

Kind of sad we turn these great pieces of technology obsolete after just a few years. I don’t remember this upgrade frenzy with film cameras.

RON_RIP

Toward the end of the film camera era they were turning out more and more models. My last film camera was the N80 but there was a raft of other models. I would rather they did not come out with new models unless they are a radical improvement on existing ones.

Bob Blaylock

Kind of sad we turn these great pieces of technology obsolete after just a few years. I don’t remember this upgrade frenzy with film cameras.

I think there's an obvious reason for this difference between film and digital cameras.

Really, the ability to take great pictures gets down to two things: The optics, and the sensor and supporting electronics, for digital cameras, or the film, for film cameras.

To whatever degree the technology of film itself advances, you can always use the most modern, technically-advanced film, even in an old camera. My 1972-vintage F2 can take pictures every bit as good as what you'd get using a brand new F6. Same film, same optics.

Electronic technology has been, for a very long time, advancing very rapidly. This applies, of course, to digital image sensors, and to the electronics that support them. Whatever the very best there is of such on the market at any given time, there will be even better in a year or two.

In the time span between my F2, and the F6, which will take equally-good pictures on film, we've had the Kodak DCS 100 come along in 1991 as the first DSLR, at a price of $20,000, with a resolution of only 1.3 megapixels, the Nikon D1 in 1999 1t 2.7 megapixels, up through the current batch of 24-megapixel and a few 36-megapixel cameras. A year or two from now, I am sure we'll be seeing fifty megapixels or more, perhaps even a hundred megapixels. Of course, there are other factors beside raw megapixels, that affect overall image quality, and these are improving as well, at least as rapidly.

The only way that a digital camera could not be doomed to obsolescence within a few years would be for the sensor and supporting electronics to be interchangeable, so that you can just replace those rather than replacing the whole camera. As far as I know, only Hasselblad does this, on cameras that have prices today in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Unless you're buying a Hasselblad, you're just going to have to accept that any digital camera that you buy today, will not be up to the technological standards in pace a few years from now.

gary135r

That's why it seems to be a fool's errand to buy brand new models. I know it’s great to have THE latest technology but the depreciation is so drastic after a few years. I guess you have to look at cameras like we do computers or cell phones. I think personally I will focus (pun intended), on acquiring top quality lenses and hold on to an obsolete camera body just a little longer. Just seems to make more sense to me.

RON_RIP

It is all in how you define obsolete. Many of the archive Nikon bodies can still be used to take outstanding photos, wether film or digital. I agree that we should put our money in great lenses and change bodies only after they are worn out.

SHAkers718

Like Richarddacat, I just got the D7000 with the 18-140mm kit from Best Buy for $629. The same combination is on Amazon for $849. The body only is $493 & the lens only is $486. At NikonUSA it's $999 body only. The Best Buy price is truly a bargain. It will be interesting to see if it will sink even further with the release of the D7200.

cbay

Like Richarddacat, I just got the D7000 with the 18-140mm kit from Best Buy for $629.

Same here. What an awesome camera! Like the lens too. Debated for quite a while over it or the 7100 and felt it best to get the 7000 and have the 18-140 lens; as i researched it enough to believe it would make a good walk about lens. I went this way knowing that the new version (7200) would be out some time this year and would probably go that route as well. I wouldn't have wanted to do that if i spent the money it would have taken to go the same route with the 7100.
Now i'm convinced that i probably don't need a better camera,,,,but the NAS bug will probably bite me. :eek:

Welshy74

Available for preorder in the UK. £939 for the body only and £1119 to have it with the 18-105 kit lens. Im reserving judgement at the moment as personally the only thing that interests me on it is the fps and improvement on the ISO as I shoot rugby and ice hockey mainly