Right Lens for the Bokeh Effect

Eye-level

Banned
Those are very nice Claudia. I remember the first time I made OOF background pictures of people I was so blown away by it.

Notice how in those pictures the background sky is white? I've been experimenting with gradients lately trying to strengthen up some of old pics that have a similar blown out sort of background sky. You should try playing with gradients a bit if you have photoshop. I think pro photogs use NA filters and the such to eliminate this problem but I am trying to learn a PP way of handling it.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Kind of like this...

claudia.gif

OK this is my final version I have been playing with this photo for a couple of hours now...check it out. Fix that highlight on her cheek and the spot on her neck and I think you have a splendid photograph of a very pretty lady! :)

claudia2.jpg

claudia.jpg

Last edited:

Claudia!

It does look better with what you did. Can you explain it even more? I didn't like the white sky from the beginning. I like the last photo you edited. Thank you.

Eye-level

Banned
I'm still learning the technique myself but basically you open up a layer the same size as your picture and add some type of gradient to it...you can play with the colors, brightness, contrast, saturation, tint, hue, etc. until you get something you like and think will fit the pic...then you open up the original still as a layer on top of your gradient layer...then you select regions by color (this is how I've been doing them I suppose you could use other things like the magic wand for example) selecting for the white burnt out sky area or background or whatever area you want your gradient to be in...then you cut that away...merge the layers...flatten the image...then save...you have a processed picture. I'm really sort of just beginning with gradients your pic above is one of the very first I have ever attempted...

Claudia!

I will have to try this out. I just got lightroom and photoshop 3 weeks ago. There is so much to learn. I have been relying on Capture/View NX. Thank you for the directions. I will have to put this into effect.