Reverse Lense Mount - Macro

TreySpooner

I recently bought a kit for reverse mounting of lenses to play around with. It's pretty cool, but I'm wondering what lenses people are using? I used my Nikon 16-35 f/4, but I'm thinking a prime would be better, and I would have use for a 50mm and wider primes for othrr things, so any recommendations for what works well? Short of buying a dedicated macro lens.

Bill16

What Nikon dslr model do you have? I'm selling a couple great Nikkor af-d lenses that would likely work well for that! A 50mm f1.8 and a 24mm f2.8! But if your Nikon doesn't have the built in focus motor, then they would be manual focus even for regular use.

Anyway they are listed in the market here if you find that your interested! Both work awesome with no issues!:)

TreySpooner

What Nikon dslr model do you have? I'm selling a couple great Nikkor af-d lenses that would likely work well for that! A 50mm f1.8 and a 24mm f2.8! But if your Nikon doesn't have the built in focus motor, then they would be manual focus even for regular use.

Anyway they are listed in the market here if you find that your interested! Both work awesome with no issues!:)
D750. I'll look in the market

480sparky

By itself.. Didn't ponder a second lens...

Anything with an aperture ring from 24mm to 50mm will do. Doesn't have to be the same mount as the lens as the lens mounts via the filter threads.

The shorter the focal length, the more magnification you'll get (along with the mandatory problems that come from shooting macro).

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
What I found with a 28mm reversed mount is that the distance to subject is so close that the lens kills the light too much. To me, a 50mm lens is better when mounted in reverse. But I still prefer my 105 sigma macro.

TreySpooner

What I found with a 28mm reversed mount is that the distance to subject is so close that the lens kills the light too much. To me, a 50mm lens is better when mounted in reverse. But I still prefer my 105 sigma macro.
One day I will get a decent macro lense. But right now, I don't have the budget to buy an expensive lense just for fun. I can't really use it for my for-profit work. But a 50mm I definitely can justify. Thanks!

TreySpooner

This is my first very rough image. Also my first attempt at focus stacking.

"Dirty Needle"
An unused 20g IV needle that I dropped on the floor.

cab1998c79e18e678912a192301f2410.jpg