Replace my D7100 with an D810

Needa

Challenge Team
My friend has the D810 and as you know I have a D7100 and we have in the past tested a few lenses that we both own with both bodies. To be honest, on checking the images on a pc, I found it impossible to notice any differences although we haven't tried any low light shots. The two main advantages I did find was the ability to crop images by a lot with the D810 and the ability to print enlargements with the FF. As a result of the tests it put my interest of upgrading on hold, however I am always keeping an eye out for any bargains on a D800/810. So providing you are going to do more than just uploading the upgrade will probably be worth it IMO.
Thanks for the feedback. My favorite time to shoot are close to sunrise and sunset. If an 810 shows up here will put it to the test.

Fred Kingston

Yes, I do... Basically, I have dozens of SD 64G SD cards... but the CF card in my D810 is faster, so I set it as the primary card, and the SD cards as secondary backup... So stuff goes to the CF card first, fast... then the SD card... I always pull the SD card for file transfers to my computer because the SD card contacts are a bit more robust than the CF card pins...I try to limit pulling the CF card... I also watch the CF card and SD cards for usage and storage limits...

Bikerbrent

Hey, that is some gaget!!

1674845078776.png

Needa

Challenge Team
Yes, I do... Basically, I have dozens of SD 64G SD cards... but the CF card in my D810 is faster, so I set it as the primary card, and the SD cards as secondary backup... So stuff goes to the CF card first, fast... then the SD card... I always pull the SD card for file transfers to my computer because the SD card contacts are a bit more robust than the CF card pins...I try to limit pulling the CF card... I also watch the CF card and SD cards for usage and storage limits...
Good information! Looking for card specifics, brand , speed, etc. Viewed an old thread were some users were reporting that the 810 was picky. Any recommendations?

Fred Kingston

Good information! Looking for card specifics, brand , speed, etc. Viewed an old thread were some users were reporting that the 810 was picky. Any recommendations?
The fastest cards supported are UDMA-7 CompactFlash which allows transfer rates up to 145 MB/second, however the fastest tested cards yield ~100MB/s write speed in the D810.

I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 64G 160MB/s card. It is a UDMA-7 card... And a SanDisk 64G 120MB/s Class 10 SD card... I've never had an issue with card speed or integrity with these cards... I should state that I also, almost never, ever shoot in continuous mode situations that require any kind of burst mode type shooting... If I've ever captured a bird in flight or a soccer player in mid-air kicking a ball, it was an accident...

Needa

Challenge Team
Ended up with the Extreme CF card 120MB/s (only CF at store) and an Extreme plus SD card 170MB/s. Set the SD card as primary.