Repair, or replace it?

Clovishound

Well, the Nikon 105mm macro lens I got for my daughter died today. It no longer focuses, either in AF or manual focus mode. When you turn the focus ring, the lens does not focus at all. I called Nikon, they said if I list the problem as "focus/zoom not smooth", the estimate will be be $475. He recommended I put it under "other" and explain the problem. If it goes in under the "focus not smooth", it will be a MINIMUM of $475. With the "other" listed, they will send me an estimate based on what the technician thinks the issue is and I will have to approve it. I will be repairing/replacing it since it died while I was using it, and it's my daughter.

I can buy a used replacement in LN- condition for $500.

A new 85mm DX Nikon lens for $560

A new Sigma 105mm new for $670

A new Tokina 100mm new for $429

The DX and Tokina won't work properly on my Z camera, although that is a minor consideration. I'm a little gun shy of using one of her lenses and having to fix/replace it.

I am reluctant to send it to Nikon, as it is unlikely I will be able to have it repaired for less than $475, and then I would be out time and shipping. By the time I pay shipping, I am pretty much the same as a LN used direct replacement from KEH camera.

What say you? Any other options?

No matter what, I guess I won't be doing any macro photography for a while, unless I get a set of extension tubes for my 24-70.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Jake had the Sigma 105mm macro. He said it was okay but most likely not quite a good as the Nikon 105mm macro. I have the Nikon which works well. No clue about the others.

How long did you have the Nikon, and did you purchase it new? It's a shame and definitely can be costly for repairs. Or ... did you check around at other non-Nikon repair centers to see if any of them can give you an idea of their repair cost?

Clovishound

She's had it a little over a year, it was a refurb, as they were no longer selling new ones. I haven't checked other independent repair facilities. I understand that lens repair can be iffy without the correct equipment, depending on what they have to do.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
One thing I just thought of is I'm not sure the Sigma 105mm can connect to their dock. So it's possible the lens might need to be shipped back to Sigma for firmware updates when newer Nikon bodies come out. Be sure to look into that if you are leaning towards the Sigma.

Clovishound

I don't think she would be happy with a manual focus only lens. I know, when working with higher magnification shooting, manual focus is the way to go, but I know her well enough to know she wouldn't like a lens without AF capability.

Fred Kingston

I've been re-thinking autofocus since I started shooting a Z7ii... Focus Peaking is the schnozzle...I find my 1960s 50mm 1.2 AI lens lives on my Z... I do understand your concern. Looking around, for that genre of lens, the price point differences between your <$500 and higher priced lenses seems to be the auto-focus feature alone.

Sounds like you're destined to scouring the used markets for a replacement for her Nikon 105mm Macro

Clovishound

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest way to replace this lens. I don't mind paying a little more for a lens that will suit her needs better. Fortunately, it is a common lens and right now they are readily available on the used market. KEH has a handful that are rated EX to LN for right around the $500 price point.

I was wondering if there were other repair options, or if a new version of another lens might be a better choice. I probably should send the lens to Nikon and find out if they can repair it for a good bit less than the $475 they talked about.

Again, I hesitate to do that due to time and being out for shipping costs, and I'm also nervous about getting this lens repaired, and then having more problems with it down the road. If you remember, the first refurb sent to me by the Nikon Store, when I bought this lens, was bad out of the box. I only got a refurb in the first place because new versions of this lens were not available. This will likely be my last Nikon refurb purchase.

The 85mm DX is attractive because it is new, and is lighter and should be easier to handle. On the down side, it is a DX, although I have doubts she will switch to a full frame any time in the near future, if ever. It also would not be suitable for me to use on my Z5. Again, right now I am leery of using any of her lenses. I don't want to tell her I "broke" one of her lenses again.

Fred Kingston

There is a repair service in Miami that a friend uses...and swears by... they were 1/3 of Nikon's $$$ I'll see if I can get a contact for you...

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
There is a repair service in Miami that a friend uses...and swears by... they were 1/3 of Nikon's $$$ I'll see if I can get a contact for you...
If it's Southern Photo in Miami, I had bad luck with them back with my D5100 in 2013. I was only getting part of the picture and only in manual. I dealt with the drop-off location in Delray. The 5100 was under warranty. They had my camera for almost a month since I had to keep sending it back due to the problem coming back.

BTW, TedG told me about them and had no problems with them.

https://nikonites.com/forum/threads/did-my-d5100-run-out-of-film.14326/

Clovishound

Well, the Pup opted for the Sigma. It's on sale right now at B&H for a whopping $20 off, so I went ahead and ordered it. This will undoubtedly diminish the possibility of my getting a Zmount 105 micro in the near future. :cry:

I will hold onto the 105 Nikon. I will investigate a cheaper repair than Nikon, although I am reluctant to dump much $ into a lens that has already given me trouble. Barring that, I may even open it up myself and see if there is something I can do to at least get manual focus out of it. Probably too complicated, and with no parts likely available to me, but at this point I have little to lose.

BTW, I contacted Southern Photo, but never got a reply.

Clovishound

Well, I ran across an interesting video. There is a fellow that has this lens with what looks like the same problem as mine. He disassembled it and discovered the issue, but was unable to fix it due to lack of parts available.

It seems that the STM and manual focus ring connect with two plastic barrels , one inside the other. One has two square nubs that mate into slots on the other barrel. Those nubs are broken on his. I'm thinking about tearing it down and see if I can just glue the two barrels together. It might mean it can't be disassembled again, but at this juncture, it is an expensive paper weight.

Like the famous line from Young Frankenstein, "IT COOOUULD WOOOORK!!!!!!!!!!". The main thing that concerns me is that disassembling from the top, as he is doing, requires that the front element is removed. It is secured by a half dozen or so small screws that don't look like they have any adjustment. I wonder if this is something that would actually require some type of adjustment with special equipment, or if it should go back into place where it needs to be and still be in spec. The other option would be to try and work from the other end, but not sure I could get to what I need to in order effect the repair. From seeing the partial disassembly, I have my doubts about working from the bayonet end.

Youtube video link if interested

BF Hammer

Maybe the part could be printed. Anyway good luck!
My favorite answer to that is "How good are you with 3D CAD design?" Personally I suck at that. Spend 20 hours drawing the part and overnight printing it. Is that really practical for most things?

Clovishound

I doubt it could be printed. For one, it probably requires more strength than most 3D printers are capable of. Second, it also probably requires more precision than most 3D printers have. Third, I don't have a 3D printer.

Needa

Challenge Team
My favorite answer to that is "How good are you with 3D CAD design?" Personally I suck at that. Spend 20 hours drawing the part and overnight printing it. Is that really practical for most things?
Practical probably not. But there are some who think it is fun? Sometimes there are already pre-made downloadable files such as one for I saw for barrel bushings for an 18-55, who would bother?
I doubt it could be printed. For one, it probably requires more strength than most 3D printers are capable of. Second, it also probably requires more precision than most 3D printers have. Third, I don't have a 3D printer.
It is probably cheaper to replace the lens than rectify the third one? :) You have to see what the problem is first, I have replace broken studs for cam followers by drilling the remaining part and rebuilding the follower with a screw and epoxy. This guy here repairs old lens but here is some information about what kind of lubricant and screwdrivers required. https://richardhaw.com/.

Anyway like I said good luck, post up your results, I find it interesting.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

Another option is to keep your eye out on eBay for that lens being sold "for parts only"... I saw one yesterday for <$50.00 but it basically had the same problem as your lens so that wouldn't help for that one... because it sounded like it failed the same way... would work fine in manual mode, just wouldn't autofocus.

Clovishound

Mine won't focus in either. I wouldn't mind it too bad if it still worked in manual focus. I do the vast majority of my macro in MF.

It is probably cheaper to replace the lens than rectify the third one? :) You have to see what the problem is first, I have replace broken studs for cam followers by drilling the remaining part and rebuilding the follower with a screw and epoxy. This guy here repairs old lens but here is some information about what kind of lubricant and screwdrivers required.

Big difference between robust automotive parts and the small, thin plastic pieces in this lens. I thought about a screw, plastic block and epoxy, but judging by the thickness of the two barrels I saw in the video, I have doubts it would hold. A handful of judicious dollops of epoxy between the two barrels, should keep them together for the foreseeable future. Another issue I have to consider is the alignment of the two barrels. Don't know if that is critical or not. I suspect, not, but wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Bottom line is that I likely have little to lose by trying. The siren call of the Z mount 105 doesn't help things.