Remote Shutter Release problems

nickt

....but i do still have questions on how to use this thing. the button can only be pressed once at a time - first for focus, second for release (no half way down, just all the way down). what if i want to do what i did with the old one which was focus first (holding release just like regular shutter) then rip off a series of shots without refocusing?
I don't think you can do exactly that. I don't have your same cameras though. I don't think I can click the remote once to focus and then click again again to shoot as you described. If mine do that, I'm not sure how to set that up. I'll describe what I do get and maybe that will help. This is on my d7x00's.

If I am in a release priority mode, I get an instant shot, no focus. But I can focus with the camera. In my case I use BBF, so I pre-focus with the back button, then shoot with the remote. This works for me for pretty much everything. You could set af-c, release priority without using bbf. I think its the defaualt for af-c anyway.

If I am in a focus priority mode (default for af-s), clicking the remote once will initiate focus and shoot all with one click. In that case, I get focus every shot. Usually not what I want, so I stick with af-c, release priority which is my setting for bbf anyway.
Another thing I learned. In af-s, focus priority, it works as I said above, but with one twist: If I go ahead and prefocus with a half press of the shutter, that apparently tells the remote not to focus on the rest of the shots. This might work for you if your camera behaves the same way.

In any case, I don't think you can shoot a burst. You will need to keep pressing the button.
Here is an old thread:
https://nikonites.com/d7000/12901-continuos-shooting-wireless-remote.html#axzz4omhvXFOQ

Slipperman

I don't think you can do exactly that. I don't have your same cameras though. I don't think I can click the remote once to focus and then click again again to shoot as you described. If mine do that, I'm not sure how to set that up. I'll describe what I do get and maybe that will help. This is on my d7x00's.

If I am in a release priority mode, I get an instant shot, no focus. But I can focus with the camera. In my case I use BBF, so I pre-focus with the back button, then shoot with the remote. This works for me for pretty much everything. You could set af-c, release priority without using bbf. I think its the defaualt for af-c anyway.

If I am in a focus priority mode (default for af-s), clicking the remote once will initiate focus and shoot all with one click. In that case, I get focus every shot. Usually not what I want, so I stick with af-c, release priority which is my setting for bbf anyway.
Another thing I learned. In af-s, focus priority, it works as I said above, but with one twist: If I go ahead and prefocus with a half press of the shutter, that apparently tells the remote not to focus on the rest of the shots. This might work for you if your camera behaves the same way.

In any case, I don't think you can shoot a burst. You will need to keep pressing the button.
Here is an old thread:
https://nikonites.com/d7000/12901-continuos-shooting-wireless-remote.html#axzz4omhvXFOQ
yeah i eventually found that article last night which answered my question but still doesn't make sense. what's the point of a remote that doesn't exactly mimic the functionality of the release button on the camera? i would think you should still be able to shoot in continuous mode regardless of the remote. looks like i'll be returning this one.
in any case i don't think i described my problem that well. what i meant to say is that with the new remote, there is no half-way on the button - you have to push all the way down to focus then all the way to snap the picture (at least i think). it's possible that it focuses and snaps the pic with each push but i'm not sure. in any case, it can't do continuous which sucks.

nickt

If you do that test with the cell phone camera, you will see that the remote only sends one shot of light bursts. If you hold it, nothing else happens. Yes, that is kind of primitive. I have an original Nikon ML-L3 that I bought many years ago for $15. Then I bought 2 more knock-offs for less than $5 ea. I keep one in a little pouch on my camera strap and another with my tripod. Tiny and handy. I use the ml-l3 often, but I am never looking for a burst, just a simple trip. I do have a wired remote too if I ever need it. You will probably save on camera battery with a wired remote, activating the ml-l3 remote mode is a battery suck. It noticeably drains the camera battery, I guess that's why they limit it with a timer.