Remember to change your EXF year date to 2019

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I went in on my D7200 and changed my file names like grandpaw mentioned. Today I used the camera for the first time since changing the file names and wondered why the file numbers were out of order. Then I realized the file names MUST be changed for EVERY mode on the body. For example...I switched between Aperture Priority and U1 (which is set for BBF). All the file names changed for the images shot with Aperture Priority but not for the files shot with U1.

So if you shoot in Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Auto, U1, and/or U2 (did I miss any?) and want to change your file names, you will have to go into every single one of these modes and change the file names. Otherwise, the modes that weren't changed will still display as DSC.

480sparky

I went in on my D7200 and changed my file names like grandpaw mentioned. Today I used the camera for the first time since changing the file names and wondered why the file numbers were out of order. Then I realized the file names MUST be changed for EVERY mode on the body. For example...I switched between Aperture Priority and U1 (which is set for BBF). All the file names changed for the images shot with Aperture Priority but not for the files shot with U1.

So if you shoot in Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Auto, U1, and/or U2 (did I miss any?) and want to change your file names, you will have to go into every single one of these modes and change the file names. Otherwise, the modes that weren't changed will still display as DSC.

My 7100 doesn't do that, nor any of my 600s. Must be something 'new'.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My 7100 doesn't do that, nor any of my 600s. Must be something 'new'.

It worked on my D610 so I'm surprised it won't work on your D600. Click on Menu then the Camera Icon. It's under that list of options as File Naming. And it shows DSC.

480sparky

It worked on my D610 so I'm surprised it won't work on your D600. Click on Menu then the Camera Icon. It's under that list of options as File Naming. And it shows DSC.

It works just fine. But I don't have to change for every shooting mode. I changed each camera once, and it's done across the board.

grandpaw

I have a D500, D600 and D7000 and I only change each of them one time. Now the D7000 says 700 because you only have three digits that you can change. My D7000 went from DSC_1234 to 700_1234.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is my folder of images. When my D7200 was in Aperture Priority, I changed the _DSC to _72D (7200 DX abbreviated). I wanted a letter to be the last assigned value.

Below is the folder of images. All the ones shot as _72D were taken while I was in Aperture Priority. The others were taken when I used U1 (BBF in Aperture Priority). It's possible you don't need to change the file name for every shooting mode (such as Manual, Shutter Priority, Program, or Auto). That was an assumption on my part. But the file names clearly didn't get changed while I was shooting in U1...and most likely wouldn't be changed under U2 either unless I go in and change it. To make things simple, I went back to _DSC. :beguiled:

You can see the actual numbers are out of order because of the way I have them displayed. All the ones showing _72D were shot Aperture Priority where I changed the file name.

file order.png