Questions on adding FX camera (D600) to current kit

Chris@sabor

Here is my opinion:

In good conditions, with proper exposure and technique, it is almost impossible to tell the difference in image quality between dx and fx.
In poor conditions you might be able to see a difference in a side by side comparison.
That said, I also think using the right tool for the job will most often produce the best result but, in this day and age who would even notice.
I see horrible sunset photos go semi-viral on facebook, out of focus, bad horizons, over saturated and poorly composed and the average viewer loves it!

I think my point is, we photographers, especially pixel peepers are perhaps overly concerned about things that our audience wouldn't even notice.
Even knowing this won't stop me from seeing all the flaws in my images and buying new and better equipment because I want to be happy and proud of my work. I am however trying to put more effort into the subject, composition and emotion rather than worrying about a few pixels in the shadows and....I think I will stay with dx to do it!

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The question now is what to do with the 28 f2.8 Ai-s that I paid dearly for. Didn't realize it at the time, but clearly an acute episode of GAS.

Is it because you no longer want the lens or because you'd rather have the money to put towards a body? You can always sell it....

gustafson

@480sparky: thanks for your tip on using the 28 f2.8 in reverse!
[MENTION=40915]Chris@sabor[/MENTION]: good points, although I'd say there's more that underpins the lust for better gear than just pixel peeping (although I'm personally guilty of that from time to time ). At least for me, improving my keeper rate is a major factor. However, I need to learn to make the most of my current gear before lusting after new gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gustafson

Is it because you no longer want the lens or because you'd rather have the money to put towards a body? You can always sell it....

Sorry for not being clear, my point was that 28 2.8 Ai-s' alleged wideangle awesomeness is wasted on my DX bodies due to the crop factor I will see if I can eke out some macro goodness from it as 480sparky suggested, otherwise I'd probably think about selling it.

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

I have a D610 as my primary and a D5100.
Both get use.

I was even thinking of getting a D7100 but recently picked up a D90 as part of a package deal on two lenses I bought. Both the D90 and D7100 are able to autofocus on non-AFS lenses.

I have a few older non-AFS lenses in my collection (see signature) they all work on my D610.
The AFD 50mm is one of my favourites.
I had an older Tamron 200-400 when I wanted to see if I liked shooting long. It worked well on the D610.

Why not get the best of both world?

Works for me.

BackdoorArts

However, I need to learn to make the most of my current gear before lusting after new gear

And this is the (usually) unspoken detail at the heart of every "Should I upgrade...?" post. If you've learned to make the most of what you have then you know what it is about it that is potentially holding you back. Even if you haven't learned to make the most of it, you'll at least learn to recognize where your current gear is either holding you back or possibly failing you. Then the question moves from "Should I upgrade...?" to "Will the DXXX/Which body will give me...?" showing that:

1) You're ready to upgrade.
2) You know what you're looking for, just not sure of the best place to go to find it.

You don't need to be there in order to justify an upgrade. But you should at least be part way there or you risk buying gear that won't solve it. Even then you can go the wrong way, like I did when I knew I needed something better than what my D7000 was giving me at ISOs above 800 and decided that the ability to shoot more than 6 frames before the buffer filled (D7100) was more of a liability for me than dealing with 36MP's that I'd be cropping down to 16MP's or less 90% of the time when shooting wildlife (D800). I bought the D800, and 8 months later bought a refurb D7100. I've made it work (the D800 is a hell of an IR camera now), but for what I spent on the D800 I could have added some nice glass and stuck with the D7000 as my IR body.

Fortkentdad

The question now is what to do with the 28 f2.8 Ai-s that I paid dearly for Didn't realize it at the time, but clearly an acute episode of GAS

Learn to shoot in MF
That lens should mount and MF on your camera, the only thing it won't do is AF.

I think it will anyway.

SkvLTD

And with whole oil spot fiasco, 600 can be had relatively brand new for dirt-cheap after the free shutter replacement service. And this process repeated until they issue you a 610, so yet another victory.

TL Robinson

Both have uses... :D I wouldn't go out shooting landscapes wide w/o my D750 and 14-24 and the combo of the D500 and 18-35 1.8 and 50-100 1.8 are shaping up to be my go to for shows...I could use either for nature/wildlife, depending on situation, and same for sports, tho I'd reach for the D500 first given it's AF, FPS and buffer. These days its a matter of picking the right "tool" for the "job"....it's nice having the options of both in the bag...