Protecting yourself

STM

Well just don't drive that thing down my street. We have enough potholes here already.:cool:

Oh my God, you should have seen what the Abrams did to Baghdad streets! All of their roads there were blacktop and when the temps hit 130 degrees, those 62 ton beasts made FURROWS in the road 18" wide and about 6" deep. The Army wound up repaving most of Baghdad in concrete!!!

AC016

Just watched Chris Rocks bit on SNL and he brought up the subject og guns/gun control. He was saying how he is not totally anti-gun, but just against someone owning a machine gun and living across from a school, lol. He then went onto to explain how he went to an anti-gun event in DC and when he came home, he saw all the hate mail and death threats on his website. He then stated that he now feels like he needs to own a gun, lol.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

All this talk about protection got me thinking so I went out and bought a backup AR15 .223 today.

And just as I'm thinking about selling my Colt AR to fund more Nikon gear! I just need to figure out if I should strip off all the Magpul goodies I put on it and return it to stock before I sell, so I can sell the extra bits for a little more side cash.

Nero

Just watched Chris Rocks bit on SNL and he brought up the subject og guns/gun control. He was saying how he is not totally anti-gun, but just against someone owning a machine gun and living across from a school, lol. He then went onto to explain how he went to an anti-gun event in DC and when he came home, he saw all the hate mail and death threats on his website. He then stated that he now feels like he needs to own a gun, lol.

That's how they get you. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

And just as I'm thinking about selling my Colt AR to fund more Nikon gear! I just need to figure out if I should strip off all the Magpul goodies I put on it and return it to stock before I sell, so I can sell the extra bits for a little more side cash.

The furniture is really such an individual thing with many shooters. I would probably take it all off and make it original again. Then put the items up for sale. I changed out the grip for a picatinny rail forend with rubber inserts. I have a scope on my other one so I sent with iron sights on this one for speed. My hands are not in the best of shape so am considering a vertical grip next. Trying to find one that fells right.

RocketCowboy

The furniture is really such an individual thing with many shooters. I would probably take it all off and make it original again. Then put the items up for sale. I changed out the grip for a picatinny rail forend with rubber inserts. I have a scope on my other one so I sent with iron sights on this one for speed. My hands are not in the best of shape so am considering a vertical grip next. Trying to find one that fells right.

That was next for me as I was building this one up...a vertical grip on the forward rail, along with additional lighting. Got distracted before buying that hardware though, although I did swap out the stock iron sights for an Aimpoint optic on LaRue mount with a flip-up Magpul backup iron sight.

I suspect you're right ... just like motorcycles, all that personalized stuff only means something if the potential buyer is of the same mindset. Probably best to convert it back, but I may just test the waters first to see if anyone bites.

My other one is chambered in 22LR so it is the one I can take out and shoot without costing a fortune. It is a blast to take out. The new one is 5.56/.223 so ammo is a bit more expensive. I just ordered 600 rounds and should be here Thursday so I can take it out to see how it does. My son has one in 22lr and 223 also so we can go shooting together. My wife shoots a Walther P22 and I shoot 9mm, 357 and 32. Pretty rounded out in arms.

So cameras and pretty set now too. When my wife and I say we are going out shooting people have to ask us cameras or guns.

Kayla Harris

Not a chance of any protection like that here. I tend to avoid going places that "might" be dubious, but that limits what you can and cannot do with a camera.
My daughter is a black-belt / jujitsu sensei, and her club leader has always said if someone tries to rob from you, give up the goods... you can always buy new... you cannot buy a new life.

I agree with your point of view. But will it make a robber more presumptuous?

traceyjj

I agree with your point of view. But will it make a robber more presumptuous?
It might, but I would rather give up my camera than leave my family without a mother/wife. One of my sons decide to not give his iPod up a couple of years ago, and was attacked with a knife. Yes he kept his iPod, and he managed to disarm the attacker, but he has a big scar to show for him defending himself.