Pro or amateur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikerbrent

Just wondered.
"Also these days you see more and more facebook sites with "John Smith Photography" or "Samanther Class Photography" in fact they mean "Photographer NOT Photography as Photography imples a "working business" but is that because they have no idea or they like to sound good.

And just which reference source is this definition of "Photography" from? If Photography imples (sic) a "working business" then how can we have Photography classes, Photography stores, Photography clubs, etc. And finally, if a Photographer is NOT performing Photography, then what is he or she doing, taking nothing but snapshots or pictures?

Sorry to any offended people

Horoscope Fish

This is just a little food for thought as they say, but maybe, just maybe you might want to stop and consider how offensive some of the the things you post could come across to your audience before clicking that submit button. A few of my favorite examples include the following (edited for brevity, clarity):

You need a "calculator".... sheesh ...
Duh.... as I said...
Hahaha here we go again...
Do you have...

Public liability insurance
Public indemnity insurance (look it up)...
What did you expect, overnight fame and fortune...

Sorry to any offended people; I guess I'm feeling my oats this morning.

Cheers all! :D

Last edited:

Chris@sabor

Luckily, I'm seldom offended by anything uttered or written by anyone be he amateur or professional. I am however a professional observer of chin level. A chin angled too high has me passing under it and on my way.... Unfortunately, I still have to wake each day, look in the mirror and level my own, obviously at this I am but an amateur.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just wondered.

It was not intended to be a comment regarding how people here describe themselves, but how people perceive others and themselves, it was a general comment hence

"Also these days you see more and more facebook sites with "John Smith Photography" or "Samanther Class Photography" in fact they mean "Photographer NOT Photography as Photography imples a "working business" but is that because they have no idea or they like to sound good.

SO?
How other people perceive others is their own personal business. It's none of my business to judge how and what people think. But the way I perceived your posts disturbed me as I felt an unwritten feeling of frustration about how others (again this could be open for discussion) describe themselves on other forums. I am sorry to say that, to me, your posts sounded like a preacher's sermon.

Which brings me to ask you this: Who are you? How would you describe yourself? What is your portfolio like?

I've been here long enough to know that some people are sensitive to these matters and, since you just joined, it would be nice if you'd start discussing photography matters to start with, present yourself, show a few pictures, and then we can have a discussion about things we can change and how we can all get better at photography and know how to improve.

Generalities and sermons about what happens on Facebook is not appropriate in this forum.

I for now will close this thread, hoping you will continue to post and be active in our friendly forum.

Enjoy your Nikons.

Status
Not open for further replies.