Printing, How often do you?

Sharin

Has printing become a thing of the past?
Do you prefer to view your photos electronically?

I am a scrapbooker. In fact, I work at a local scrapbook store and design pages to promote products and manufacturers, so printing is of paramount importance to me. Heck, without photos I'd only have a journal/diary to document life's events.

I print, on average, about 30 prints a month. How about you?

STM

Are you talking about "printer" printing or darkroom printing? I still do a fair amount of each. I wish I had more time to spend in the darkroom honestly

weebee

I don't print at home at all since my photo quality printer went kaput a few months ago. If I want to print something to frame or send I go to wallyworld to get it done. I'll get a new printer some day. Just don't really have a huge use for one to justify the cost. Yeah, like my spending on camera gear does, right? :)

Dave_W

The Dude
I love printing my work. Getting it just right takes a fair bit of effort but it's well worth it when you see the image look exactly the way you wanted it to be.

fotojack

Not very often. I usually just put photos on CD's and give them to the client or friend/family member. Easier to take it to WallyWorld and have them do it. Cheaper, too. :)

wev

Contributor
I only occasionally print pictures for myself or as gifts. On the other side, I take all the images for the college hort department where I play. Those are processed for two purposes -- the plant ID database, which is wholly web-based and has around 3,000 images, and plant sale signage, tags, etc, which are all printed at the the college print shop. We have three major sales a year and I probably print 3 or 4 hundred images in various formats for each. Outside that, I also document the local garden clubs open tour each year, producing a photo book for each of the 8 home owners with 30 to 40 5 x 7 prints and a couple of masters sets for the club archive.

Rick M

I'll print a few at home for my album. When I print for shows I use nations, had about 450 prints made between November and December.

RON_RIP

15 to 20 prints of various sizes up to 13x 19 a month. Have gotten so that I have to print my own. Am just no longer willing to leave it in someone else's hands.

dramtastic

Never these days, it's easier to show them on a laptop. Our walls have paintings from different countries hanging on them. I do send family photo's to other family members who will sometimes print them for themselves. I'm putting together some of my favorites bird shots to be turned into a book. Just one for us and one for my mother. I'll also be attempting to put together a stitched panorama of a local scene while we are in India in April. If it works out I'll turn it into a mega canvas and it will replace some abstracts currently hanging on a living room wall.

Sharin

Such varied answers. I print at home also. I have an Epson and an old HP; both are photo printers. But I also send off for prints from several different places. I also have canvases done up and rotate them out for our walls.

Sharin

And just to note, I have *never, ever* had a print come back from Walmart or Walgreens or Target, etc. that went anywhere except in the trash. I tried to use local stores I just couldn't handle the lack of quality.

Whiskeyman

Not often, but it does happen. The costs of ink is very high and photos take a lot of ink. I'd love to get something like the Epson 3880, but I'm not sure it would pay off in the long run.

WM

mustang

I'm really liking my new *gasp* CANON *cough* Pixma Pro 100

it makes very good quality prints on canon pro luster papers .
The colors are a perfect match to what photoshop displays .

RON_RIP

I hear that is a pretty good printer, but am presently using the Pro 9500 Mark II. And I like the Cannon Luster but still prefer my Ilford Pearl. Have you tried the Ilford papers?

Dave_W

The Dude
I hear that is a pretty good printer, but am presently using the Pro 9500 Mark II. And I like the Cannon Luster but still prefer my Ilford Pearl. Have you tried the Ilford papers?

I used to use Ilford a lot in the past but have gone with Red River these days. Great paper with better prices than most others, especially when you take gauge into consideration.