Primes: What do you use yours for?

nzswift

Pretty much anything (except wides for portraits). The wonderful thing about primes is it makes you think a lot more about composition and makes you use your feet a lot more.
It's quite a good idea sometimes to slap a prime on your camera and restrict yourself to that lens for a hour or so....

Last edited:

nzswift

I went down to the beach yesterday and took only my AF 180/f2.8 prime. Walked and stalked a lot.
Some pics I took can be found the threads Birds! and Birds in Flight...

joeturner11

50mm 1.4G = Portrait Photography and detail images, sometimes night work
Nikon 180mm f/2.8 = Street Photography and a good walk about light and sharp lens + Sport Photography with D2h
Nikon 300mm f/4 = Sport Photography, Wildlife Photography (Mainly with Converter on ) and anything fast!!

JudeIscariot

I mostly use my 35mm f/1.8 for close-ups in live music performance situations (can't beat that f-stop - well you can... if you want to spend a lot more on the 1.4), and certain types of portraits indoor or outdoor.

Blade Canyon

I have an old manual focus 105mm that I love for people and animal pics. Shot this with my FX D600 last night while having a beer on the back deck. He is a truly dirty dog. I had to keep adjusting exposure manually as the sun was setting. This was cropped in post.

aldo.jpg

Bill16

​I love my 105mm. And I'm liking my 50mm pretty good too. But I'm more into the close up stuff, so my 105mm tends to take up most of my attention. lol :)