PP help needed for noisy photo

gustafson

Sorry, but I'm not following what you mean here.

Sorry, should have been clearer. What I meant to say that certain adjustments in Affinity Photo (e.g. defringing, noise reduction) have limited effect in their RAW editing mode (Develop Persona), but the same adjustments seem more effective in the JPG editing mode (Photo Persona). Was wondering if its similar with ACR and PS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Sorry, should have been clearer. What I meant to say that certain adjustments in Affinity Photo (e.g. defringing, noise reduction) have limited effect in their RAW editing mode (Develop Persona), but the same adjustments seem more effective in the JPG edition mode (Photo Persona). Was wondering if its similar with ACR and PS.
I haven't used either application so I couldn't tell you. Most likely the software algorithms can't take advantage of everything raw files have to offer because each manufacturer releases their own, proprietary raw file codecs. This is why it takes Adobe a few days or weeks to support new cameras when they come out... Adobe reverse-engineers the .NEF codec so that ACR and Photoshop can converse with those files. JPG, on the other, hand, is an open standard. Once I fully appreciated the flexibility of working with an uncompressed 14-bit raw file, in 16-bit mode in ACR/Photoshop, I couldn't go back to shooting JPG. Not that there's anything wrong with JPG, it's fine for what it is but at the same time let's be frank: JPG is, inescapably, IS a lossy, compressed, 8-bit format and there's no getting away from that. Shooting any modern DSLR in JPG is, in my opinion, castrating the camera. Again, nothing wrong with JPG, it's great for what it is; but if you want to unleash the full potential of your DSLR, you need to be shooting in raw, and processing in 16-mode to take advantage of it.

Sorry if that came off as an anti-JPG rant... It wasn't meant to.

gustafson

I haven't used either application so I couldn't tell you. Most likely the software algorithms can't take advantage of everything raw files have to offer because each manufacturer releases their own, proprietary raw file codecs. This is why it takes Adobe a few days or weeks to support new cameras when they come out... Adobe reverse-engineers the .NEF codec so that ACR and Photoshop can converse with those files. JPG, on the other, hand, is an open standard. Once I fully appreciated the flexibility of working with an uncompressed 14-bit raw file, in 16-bit mode in ACR/Photoshop, I couldn't go back to shooting JPG. Not that there's anything wrong with JPG, it's fine for what it is but at the same time let's be frank: JPG is, inescapably, IS a lossy, compressed, 8-bit format and there's no getting away from that. Shooting any modern DSLR in JPG is, in my opinion, castrating the camera. Again, nothing wrong with JPG, it's great for what it is; but if you want to unleash the full potential of your DSLR, you need to be shooting in raw, and processing in 16-mode to take advantage of it.

Sorry if that came off as an anti-JPG rant... It wasn't meant to.

That is useful info. I may have misspoken about the Photo Persona in Affinity Photo and JPG. I assumed that because my workflow has been to import images to Photos for MacOS on my Mac, and for any keeper, switch to its RAW version and edit in externally Affinity Photo. The RAW file opens in the Develop Persona (Affinity's RAW editor) in 16-bit, and once you are done with edits, it converts ("develops", in the Affinity lexicon) the RAW to a version (that I thought was JPG, but is possibly a proprietary 16-bit format) that opens in the Photo Persona, where a broad suite of adjustments is available. Once you close out of the Photo Persona, the edited file is converted to JPG and returned to Photos for MacOS. That's just one way to skin the cat, to be sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk