Post your Train shots!

Browncoat

Nice catch, Rick. I wish we had something around here other than CSX. On rare occasions, I come across a Norfolk Southern, but those are few and far between. It's been years since I've seen BNSF or anything from out west.

Rick M

Thanks Anthony! Great to see (read) you around! 99.9 % is the yellow and blue csx trains here too. I've found Saturday mornings one of these rolls around and a red one which I have not caught yet.

nikonpup

DSC_0243.JPGa little history

cdly

Soooo, you are those crazy people I see pulled off the road to take a picture of the trains. I live about 300 yards from a two rail Union Pacific train track. Now, though, I may have to stretch my creative wings and take some photos myself. They do have the most interesting equipment when they repair track...

Sandpatch

Rail photography can be challenging, trying to combine the right light, composition and a train .... all while staying safe. But when it comes together, it's highly satisfying. I most enjoy rural rail photohraphy, away from ugly billboards, wires and other distracting elements .... like people who walk up at the worst time to ask what is happening. <g>

Sandpatch

Shot this rather dull eastbound today in Cramerton, NC just west of Charlotte:

2012-10-23 Cramerton, NC Eastbound 1 - for Uploading.jpg

Didn't see much else during the day. Lovely weather, but not many trains. I shoot all my train photos in Shutter Priority Mode to assure a higher shutter speed and a sharp photo.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Nice shots Robin. I find purposely blurred shots hard to do. I don't yet have a sense of what shutter speed to work with and always blur too much or too little!

Sandpatch

While I was out today trying to get some train pictures, I was thinking about how different things are today vs 30 and 40 years ago. I find less to shoot today. Back then interesting structures and lineside details such as signals abounded and could be worked in to shots to improve composition. (Carriers often deployed their own signal designs, making the railroad instantly identifiable even without a train.) Railcars weren't covered in ugly graffiti and older freight cars with classic paint schemes and road names were still in service. Weedgrown branch lines were everywhere and arousing law enforcement wasn't as much of a concern as it is in our post-911 world. Train speeds are so much faster today as well, making chasing nearly impossible.

The bright side is that North America has a much stronger and more profitable rail freight network, and I'll take that tradeoff.

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Thanks Marilynne -- FEC, Flagler's road that once went all the way to Key West. That's one tired ol' unit. I've always liked their "hurricane" logo -- simple and apropos.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Got this before the sky opened yesterday. Didn't have a lot of time to get lots of shots.

Ballast Regulator
d5100_182_128942.jpg

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Don't know what this does. It looks pretty new.

Just found out it's a production switch tamper.

d5100_180_460293.jpg

d5100_188_712473.jpg

d5100_184_307458.jpg

d5100_186.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

That's my kind of shot eye-level. ;) Arrive, wait and babysit a piece of track for hours hoping for a train .... I've probbaly wasted a total of several years of my life doing this. :eek:

Sandpatch

Yep, a ballast tamper it is and it's built in the U.S.A.. These new machines are very sophisticated, with programmable action to optimally profile a line, laser control to set elevation, etc.. Getting track time to work a line is difficult and these allow crews to make the most of it. I like the close up of the wheels -- nice work.

Sandpatch

This is why we should stay well clear of tracks while taking photos. These derailed tank cars remain lineside as evidence of an earlier derailment. Even loose steel strapping on a passing freight car can cut you to ribbons if you stand too close.

This is a pusher locomotive helping a fast moving eastbound stack train.

2012-10-23 Cramerton, NC Estbound Pusher - For Upload.jpg