Post your Train shots!

fotojack

I took these specifically for Axeman a couple weeks ago. Enjoy, Rick. :)

Attachments

• DSC_1261.jpg
    DSC_1261.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC_1260.jpg
    DSC_1260.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 281

Sandpatch

Here's one I shot in Mountainair, NM in the mid-1990's. Mountainair is the summit on the Santa Fe's "Transcon" mainline at 6500 FT. Nikon N2020/Nikkor 85-200mm/Kodachrome 64.MountainairNM - for uploading.jpg

Last edited:

AxeMan - Rick S.

DSC_9665.jpg

"Miss Katy" Union Pacific Heritage unit 1988 sitting on display in Rochelle for Railroad Days

She's sitting on rails, they are buried in the gravel parking lot.

Sandpatch

Great roster shot AxeMan -- very nicely lit and centered. Heritage locomotives are such a wonderful notion. You probably know that Norfolk Southern has 20 Heritage units rolling systemwide at this time. NS did an expert job adapting their many fine old schemes to modern hood units, which wasn't an easy thing in some cases. I've had no luck in catching up with any of them. :-(

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Beautiful shots with a lovely day and sky! The signal bridge adds a nice bit of railroady detail as well. Neat that you see BNSF power up that way.

Rick M

Beautiful shots with a lovely day and sky! The signal bridge adds a nice bit of railroady detail as well. Neat that you see BNSF power up that way.

Thanks, I was glad to catch something other than the blue and yellow CSX colors, gets a bit boring!

Sandpatch

Here's CSX at Orlando, KY on 03/23/1996 at a nifty spot. Tunnels are great locations and are especially good when trains are working hard and they emerge from the portal with a rolling plume of thick exhaust. No such luck this day. Nikon 2020, 50mm, Kodachrome 64.

OrlandoKY032396.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Great shots cnyram - your composition, awesome sky and BNSF pumpkin orange paint just can't help but grab your eyeballs and say LOOK! Come autumn, the leaf colors ought to make for some great pictures.

You're making me jealous. I told me wife that I'm reserving a day in the next few months to get out and do some train photography.

Rick M

Thanks Sandpatch. I've been hitting this spot every saturday and sunday morning. The sun is directly behind me from about 8:30 til 11:30, after that it's too high and I don't get any side detail. I've also started using the tripod to frame the shot before a train comes, so it's locked in where I want it and just shoot in continuous mode when the train hits the selected focal point. This has helped me avoid bad compositions. The funny thing is, as soon as I get it set up in the direction I want, A train is sure to come from the other direction!

Sandpatch

I hear ya -- yep, a "hazard" of railfan photography that trains run both ways. :) North/South lines are particualrly frustrating because the sun is always behind northbounds. It chops your available shots in half or you have to shoot northbounds as "going away" scenes.