Post your Tokina 100mm Macro lens shots.

Blacktop

This is nice! It just needs more DOF. That's something I need to work on with my macro. I never know exactly how far to go with my aperture when doing macro because I haven't played around with it enough.

Since I stopped shooting the high school drama shows, my D7100 sits unused in my bag. I should mount my Nikon macro to it and put it in a separate camera bag along with my extension tubes. Earlier this spring I bought an Oben rail so I could do more macro. Although I'm not into bugs, I did notice some extremely small flowering weeds when I mowed yesterday. :beguiled:

It really does.

I see some really nice looking shots of tiny flowers being done on 500PX that I'm going to try today myself.

Blacktop

_DSC9228-Edit.jpg

Blacktop

It's a nice lens, but I need to AF tune it on the D7100. Also if there is a slightest breeze you can forget getting a sharp shot unless you have ISO turned up high.

I had the focus point on the eyes on this shot, and they are soft. The legs are sharper.

_DSC9223-Edit.jpg

Roy1961

Contributor
you can see better than me, albeit i have no glasses on, but the nearside of the leaf is the only thing i see soft.

Glasses on, front leg and eye looks good to me?

Blacktop

you can see better than me, albeit i have no glasses on, but the nearside of the leaf is the only thing i see soft.

Glasses on, front leg and eye looks good to me?

I had to selectively sharpen the eye to get it somewhat sharp without it looking over sharpened. The front leg, part of the antenna, and the leaf around the front leg was in focus. I had the focus point dead on the eye.
Here is the shot without processing except to fix highlights and exposure. You can see the eye is soft. Looks like I'm going to have to break down and AF tune this lens. I'm really not looking forwatrd to it. It seems like a lot of tedious work, and I hate tedious work!:mad:

_DSC9223.jpg

Blacktop

Fine tuned the Toker to -3. :cool:

Don't ask me why I shot this at f/5.6 . I thought I was shooting at F/13. :concern:

_DSC9422-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Borga Voffe

AKR_3861cerastium.jpg

My world, Cerastium cerastoides, very close, flowers approx 2 cm wide, handheld Nikon d7200
Also posted in another list, need som help im focusing

Blacktop

View attachment 221139

My world, Cerastium cerastoides, very close, flowers approx 2 cm wide, handheld Nikon d7200
Also posted in another list, need som help im focusing

When you get in that close with a macro lens, you will have a very narrow DOF. Try stopping down to F/13 or even f/20 and see what happens.

Another thing you could try, is put the camera on a tripod. Put your cam in AF-S with single point. Put the focus point in the middle of the left peddle, take the shot. Now, without moving your camera, put the focus point on the other peddle and take another shot.
If you have photo shop or any program that does focus stacking you can combine the two shots into one, where both peddles will be in focus.