Post your spiders

SHAkers718

I never thought I was going to get a chance to try out a spider macro, but Seymour here was a decent little poser. :)

Lr6-3695.jpg

Blacktop

We normally have two of these by the front door but I have not seen them this year

Do you like the first or the second one better? The first was shot with flash. As much as I hate using flash,( actually I don't hate it, I'm just lazy to learn new stuff) flash is clearly better for shots like these.
Much more clarity in my opinion. I might have to hunker down and start using it a lot more.

Do you like the first or the second one better? The first was shot with flash. As much as I hate using flash,( actually I don't hate it, I'm just lazy to learn new stuff) flash is clearly better for shots like these.
Much more clarity in my opinion. I might have to hunker down and start using it a lot more.

First one is much better

Roy1961

Contributor
@Blacktop i agree with you on the flash Pete, are you on the tripod there or hand held?

i also like the first one only because you are on the same side as the spider.

Bob Blaylock

Bob i am confused, the pics look like a Brown widow to me, the link takes you to what we get as black widows down here in So Cal?

EDIT, ok after reading the link it says the males can have brown tan/legs, my bad, i must only be seeing the females.

Perhaps I'm confused.

I identified it as Latrodectus hesperus based on reading the Wikipedia article on Latrodectus and picking out the species that was indicated to be native to my area. I'd never heard of the brown widow, but looking that up lead me through the Wikipedia article on Latrodectus geometricus, and from there, to an article on the Center for Invasive Species Research (CISR) that goes into great length to tell how to distinguish the two. After reading that article, I'm still not certain which this is. I am most inclined to think that it's an immature female L. hesperus, but I cannot say with confidence that it's not a L. geometricus.

According to this map, the brown widow's presence in California is mostly in the southern part, but they have apparently been sighted here in Sacramento, where I am.

brown_widow_spider_distribution_california.jpg

Bob Blaylock

Bob i am confused, the pics look like a Brown widow to me, the link takes you to what we get as black widows down here in So Cal?

EDIT, ok after reading the link it says the males can have brown tan/legs, my bad, i must only be seeing the females.

I think I found the answer.

From How to identify (and misidentify) Brown Widow:

StripKey.jpg

And from one of my pictures:

ZSC_0426_Marking.jpg

It seems that this subtle, continuous lateral stripe across the front of her abdomen identifies this as a western black widow, and not a brown widow.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

I've got a response from the author of the How to identify (and misidentify) Brown Widow page:

This specimen is really undernourished which makes ID difficult, but I would say you are correct that this is an immature western black widow (who is in need of a good meal). Besides the continuous stripe on the anterior portion of the abdomen, the hourglass is top heavy and with crisp margins which is indicative of a western black widow. People often used the black and tan leg coloration to assume that this is a brown widow but that trait is not diagnostic as both brown widows and immature western black widows display that coloration at some point in their existence. Also, another aspect although I would not call it diagnostic is that I don’t ever see that vivid of a red stripe on a brown widow. Usually the best they can offer is a vivid orange longitudinal abdominal stripe.